• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodyear Joins Market for Electric Vehicle Replacement Tires

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:47 AM
Reaction score
Apparently, EV’s wear tires much faster than IC-engined vehicles due to the weight of the battery pack????

Goodyear Joins Market for Electric Vehicle Replacement Tires

By Kirk O'Neil

Goodyear asserts that its ElectricDrive GT is an ultra-high performance all-season tire that provides long-lasting tread wear and a quiet ride for EV drivers and passengers.

Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. has entered the fray for electric vehicle replacement tires as it launched its new ElectricDrive GT, the company said in a Friday statement.

Goodyear will take on its competitors, Japan-based Bridgestone, the world's largest tire company; French tiremaker Michelin; and German rival Continental, who have dominated EV replacement tire sales prior to Goodyear's entrance to the market.

Replacement tires for EVs are specially made to handle more weight than internal-combustion vehicles and deliver more torque to the road when vehicles are driving away from a stop. They are also designed to be quieter on the road than their internal-combustion counterparts because of the almost-silent electric powertrains in EVs.

Goodyear asserts that its ElectricDrive GT is an ultra-high performance, all-season tire that provides long-lasting tread wear and a quiet ride for EV drivers and passengers.

"Electric vehicles present a very specific set of requirements for load, torque, noise, range, rolling resistance and overall performance," David Reese, Goodyear's vice president of product development, said in a statement. "We're proud to deliver leading technologies to serve the evolving EV landscape."

Goodyear designed the ElectricDrive GT with its SoundComfort Technology that acts as a built-in sound barrier that helps reduce road noise, the statement said. It also has a asymmetric tread pattern and specialized tread compound that provide enhanced all-season traction in both wet and dry road conditions.

The initial release of the ElectricDrive GT is only available in size 255/45R19 104W XL, but Goodyear plans to expand the product portfolio of tire sizes in 2022. The new tire will be available through goodyear.com for some of the most popular EV high performance models, according to the statement.

Extra weight and more torque to the road.....hmmmm sounds a lot like A diesel pick up. I smell a marketing scam. More EV BS, ill bet they are "recyclable" too !

I know that hybrids are supposed to use a low rolling resistance tire, Michelin made those that I know of I’m sure others do by now. They were pricey and small, softer compound I couldn’t tell ya. A lot of folks years ago didn’t want the special tires because they cost more when it came time to replace..This whole EV thing is a scam like a lot of things...

I quit buying goodyears a long time ago cause they just wore out so fast, now they're trying to go long life, BS

And with an EV, I don’t want the ****’n thing to be silent, cause if I’m walking down the street, and don’t hear a “car”, I just might cross and then get hit! Ya I know, you’re supposed to look, but ask this….how many kids do?

Last edited:
Goodyear is liberal they were aganist trump last year

Goodyear hasn't made a decent product in years. Well, at least one I bought. I used to buy nothing but Goodyear, as two cousins worked for them. One a service mgr and the other a district or area rep.
And now they own Cooper.

And with an EV, I don’t want the ****’n thing to be silent, cause if I’m walking down the street, and don’t hear a “car”, I just might cross and then get hit! Ya I know, you’re supposed to look, but ask this….how many kids do?
I doubt that they're much quieter than all those nearly silent Cadillacs, Rolls Royce or other luxury cars. In fact, my dad's old six cylinder Rambler was pretty silent, people thought I'd been driving up with the engine off.

Actually, the Feds said all EV’s have to emit a certain amount of decibels while in motion just so they can be heard.

Goodyear said you can wear a Black lives matter shirt but not a blue lives matter shirt. They will never get me to buy any of their tires again. I have 6 cars so they will lose a lot of my business.

Funny how they don't mention that EV tires wear faster and contribute more rubber waste into the environment in the form of rubber particles into the water ways as well as faster contributions to all the disposed tire piles around the world.

Auto Transport Service
Back