• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a 64 Chrysler Newport need help please

Marco Perez

Local time
3:59 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just got myself a 64 chrysler newport, from what I've researched it's the b engine 361 v8 5.8 Liter, my problem is my throttle linkage is missing a clip and my pedal sticks sometimes due to popping out of place. Can anyone help or show me the clip I am missing I will add some pictures for reference.

Thanks to anyone for helping

PS I am new to the group and look forward to getting feedback and helping others as well..

Thanks again ✌️

20220516_191958.jpg 20220516_192006.jpg

Last edited:
This may be your setup. If so it looks like you are missing something. 14-40 in the manual.
link1.png

Thanks beep beep but it looks like I'm missing a part to my firewall bracket which is detailed as #1 in the diagram

Thanks! 1wild RT that's exactly what I need now as for the 10 inch rod that is 3/16" you think I can pick that up at home depot just as a substitute? And this I'll be my first time working on car since I just got it 2 weeks ago

The rod is just used during setup, if you leave it in place the throttle linkage will be locked up....

That rod just aligns the linkage so you can adjust the nut in #4 position. So that the geometry is correct. Once you adjust it you remove the rod.

Read what it says here.

link2.png

Last edited:
Great! Thanks to all of you, hopefully this stops the throttle from sticking. Also are the gauges easy to work on as well?.. my temp and fuel are the 3 in question is there any good place to start? Previous owner said they're both bad connections points behind the dash...

Great! Thanks to all of you, hopefully this stops the throttle from sticking. Also are the gauges easy to work on as well?.. my temp and fuel are the 3 in question is there any good place to start? Previous owner said they're both bad connections points behind the dash...

64 Chrysler has 3 gauges Fuel & Temp are the only two that are fed power through the IVR... The third gauge is the Ammeter... Oil is just a big red light...

So possibly the IVR (instrument voltage regulator) is bad or possibly the senders are both bad... Could be the gauges but I doubt it... First check is to use a test light, unplug the connector at the water temp sender, connect the test light to that lead & ground the other end, key on the test light should slowly pulse on & off... If not suspect the IVR... If it does the IVR is good... Key off, temporarily ground the lead going to the water temp sender, key on for a brief period, does the needle on the gauge quickly head for the hot end of the scale? If so the gauge & IVR are doing what they should, replace the sending unit...

GUYS! I got that bushing but it seems too big for the firewall bracket... can anyone tell me the correct bushing I need ...

Auto Transport Service
Back