• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 chrysler brake fluid question

Marco Perez

Local time
2:55 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys i was checking all my fluid levels and noticed my brake fluid reservoir is low i was just wondering what type to put in it .. my car is a 64 chrysler newport.. thanks ahead for any help ..

Usually Dot3 conventional ( usually)

But if it's low then either the shoes are worn, you have a leak or it was never filled to the correct level.

Note: if you fill it and the shoes are worn and later replaced it may overfill the reservoir following new shoe installation as the wheel cylinders will be further in at rest .

Hope this helps.

Yea i saw a small leak behind passamger rear wheel .. i think its at the T connection... is that pretty simple to replace mind you im a youtube mechanic... lol i work with my hands.

Do a complete brake inspection. Brake fluid is hygroscopic. It absorbs water and gets saturated.
This causes corrosion inside the metal lines, wheel cylinders, brake hoses and m/c.
To be safe, especially with a single pot brake system, you might wasnt to do a complete system rebuild.
Do complete fluid changes every 3 years.

Auto Transport Service
Back