• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got My New Race Car From Detroit

65AFX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:17 PM
Reaction score
Got home a couple weeks ago after driving to the Amblewagon plant in Detroit to pick up my new 1965 Dodge Altered Wheelbase race car. As I got the last one they gave me the jigs for the front end modification. I noticed in the box they also had a jig for positioning the torsion bar anchors. There was a lot of traffic on RT 66, but my Chrysler station wagon with its 413 pulled the trailer really well. I need to letter the car and change the tires and wheels. I got a set of Torque Thrust for the front and some wide steel wheels for the rear. I had planned to be at the AHRA Winter nations At the Bee Line Dragstrip, but I spent a lot of money on the car and trip, then the wife decided to have a baby. So I'll probably not make it. Here a picture of it in my driveway and one of the box of jigs.

AFX-1.jpg

JIG-1.jpg

That's a pretty o'l school hot rod you have there, looks like fun! 440'

Love the black and white photos. My pops used to do the same back in the 80s and 90s to try to capture the era. This was from around 1991.

59346434-5032-4AAA-9AA4-82DFDF4EF13C.jpeg

679C155B-FECD-4517-8AD8-EDC0500AB435.jpeg

Look forward to hearing more about that race car you just brought home.

Pulled it home on a trailer? What, you couldn't drive it home from Detroit...on the interstate...in the winter...with no heater...with open headers...to break in the Hemi...like Bud Faubel did?

:lol:

faubelb.jpg
Honker001.sized.jpg

tumblr_mfzcedWXlL1qfd629o1_400.jpg

Bud Faubel in his altered wheelbase 1965 Dodge Coronet.
Chrysler had Amblewagon of Birmingham, Mich. convert 1965 Dodge and Plymouth B-body production cars into the altered wheelbase cars.
Amblewagon was a company that converted production cars into ambulances and funeral coaches.
This is the car Bud drove from Michigan to Chambersburg, Pennsylvania in the winter.
The car had a Hemi, cross ram intake, dual quads, open headers, heater and radio delete (as if he would have heard it anyway) and no carpet.
Could you imagine pulling out of a toll booth and looking over at this thing in the lane next to you.
Wish I was with him ..... I would have started a camp fire where the back seat should have been.

View attachment 1403201
Bud Faubel in his altered wheelbase 1965 Dodge Coronet.
Chrysler had Amblewagon of Birmingham, Mich. convert 1965 Dodge and Plymouth B-body production cars into the altered wheelbase cars.
Amblewagon was a company that converted production cars into ambulances and funeral coaches.
This is the car Bud drove from Michigan to Chambersburg, Pennsylvania in the winter.
The car had a Hemi, cross ram intake, dual quads, open headers, heater and radio delete (as if he would have heard it anyway) and no carpet.
Could you imagine pulling out of a toll booth and looking over at this thing in the lane next to you.
Wish I was with him ..... I would have started a camp fire where the back seat should have been.
Bud Faubel probably wanted to season the motors cylinder walls with that Michigan to Pennsylvania trip before breaking it down to blueprint it to his specs. Perfect way to break it in over those 600 miles or so. Sunoco 260 was available at every station. He must have been warm as a bear in its cave with the day dreaming of running such a machine once he got it home.

Guys, I was in the "TWILIGHT ZOON" Last week. !!!

Auto Transport Service
Back