• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green axle bearings

I don't care which you use. Neither is set and forget. They all need to be inspected about every 30,000 miles.

View attachment 1253250 BE aware of what you are buying....
I am installing this 9" into my Fox body mustang.... Ordered it knowing it was coming with Ball bearing axle bearings ( I am assuming the same idea as green) but I could change out to tapered later if I wanted to..Well, I was wrong...
Different size Inside Diameters, that require different size axles.....
Not happy, but I will run the ball bearings before I order NEW axles....
I do not know if this applies to 8 3/4 or Dana's.....
I am not a "ford" guy, but I had "ford" guys telling my I was full of sheet..... LOL... nope I am not.....
Ford used ball bearings for years and don't think they ever used Timkens on their axles.....at least not that I've seen. Also, if you look at bearing charts, you can probably find a bearing to fit dang near anything. Auto parts houses are not much help in this area.....and contrary to popular belief, Timken cones and cups come in separate boxes unless of course you are buying them from auto part houses or buying kits from the axle/rear end parts suppliers.

My understanding is "race" axles softer than "street" axles and would wear the ends quickly as tapered bearings thrust to the center block or pins.
That's why ball bearings are used.
Here's a link to street axles vs all the rest....and it's a decent read. https://www.dragzine.com/tech-stori...ing-the-terminology-behind-streetstrip-axles/

We still talking about this?
Looks that way lol

And for the last, how many years, has Dodge been using a roller bearing in their truck rear axles that don't even use a inner race. The rollers actually run right on the axle. :rolleyes:

The internal "C" clip in the differential takes up the side load. Just like the outer flange does when using the Green bearings.

20210913_084221.jpg

20210913_084111.jpg

20211001_174555.jpg

And for the last, how many years, has Dodge been using a roller bearing in their truck rear axles that don't even use a inner race. The rollers actually run right on the axle. :rolleyes:

The internal "C" clip in the differential takes up the side load. Just like the outer flange does when using the Green bearings.

View attachment 1256528
View attachment 1256531
View attachment 1256527
Lots of cars went to the straight rollers with the axle being the inner race and did that pretty early on.....mid 70's or so I think.

View attachment 1256528
View attachment 1256531
View attachment 1256527

The bearing assembly shown is a true "roller bearing" using cylindrical roller bearing elements, but it is NOT a true Tapered Roller Bearing, or a "Green" style ball bearing. This is a very common way of obtaining a roller bearing design. It is capable of high radial loads and zero axial loads, not even coefficient of linear expansion loads due to temperature change. A snap ring, either on the shaft or on the bearing housing is usually just for assembly purposes. If the rollers are required to run directly on the shaft, the shaft must be hardened, to at least Rockwell C 40-50, by heat treating, induction heating, or flame hardening. These techniques will replace the usual Inner Race of the bearing. Sometimes, this will yield a stronger shaft section modulus, due to the shaft diameter increase, by eliminating the bearing's inner race, to increase bending moment, without increasing the overall bearing sssembly dimensions. Just a few additional talking points......
BOB RENTON

View attachment 1256527

So, that's a Koyo bearing in a Timken box?

So, that's a Koyo bearing in a Timken box?

OR a KOYO BEARING resting on a Timken Bearing box. The bearing has a USA stamp, # DB 88128 part number, but Timken makes cylindrical roller bearings also....

Timken® Cylindrical Bearings

Minimize drag. Reduce heat. And perform better, for longer, with less maintenance and downtime. These are the true tests of any bearing. Our comprehensive line of single-, double- and multi-row Timken® cylindrical roller bearings helps extend equipment life and lower maintenance costs.

FYI....... www.timken.com/products/timken-engineered-bearings. Products, specs, dimensions etc. All you ever wanted to know about bearings.......can't get this kind of info for Green bearings.....wonder why?
BOB RENTON

Proprietary?

Not hardley......all the major manufacturers (Timken, SKF, TORRINGTON, RBC, BOWER, TOYO, etc.) design and market their version of a single row ball bearing, double sealed, pre lubricated, with external snap ring groove, stamped steel rolling element retainer. I've not been able to discern the engineering and dimensional info on the Green bearings to compare with the other manufacturers.
BOB RENTON

Some **** you just have to believe in.

Not hardley......all the major manufacturers (Timken, SKF, TORRINGTON, RBC, BOWER, TOYO, etc.) design and market their version of a single row ball bearing, double sealed, pre lubricated, with external snap ring groove, stamped steel rolling element retainer. I've not been able to discern the engineering and dimensional info on the Green bearings to compare with the other manufacturers.
BOB RENTON

Bob did you have a bad experience with the Green bearing personally or is it just because they are of a different design they don't fit into your engineering mindset? One way or another you're...

696.gif

They're manufacturing them everyday. People are buying them and using them. They are not going away :)

That’s funny!^^^^^^

Koyo has manufacturing plants in Japan, UK, Europe, China and India and here in the USA. You'll find different countries stamped on the bearing.
I have no doubt about Koyo Seiko having plants around the world. But I didn't know they had anything to do with Timken, hence the question about the box. Why not have a Koyo box for a Koyo bearing?

WTH, I'll add my 2 cents. Doesn't matter which you use, if it works for you have at it, I have both.
The green bearings are a single row ball bearing. You do not get as many holding the radial load so strain is higher on the bearing, okay in a A body, but a Imperial or wagon you are getting out to the ragged edge. In a 8 3/4 it needs to take up the thrust also that's what the tapered roller does, again by design high loading on the balls due to less of them and less surface area. I believe the Ford bearings listed are alternating double row. The C clip rears are a good design except GM used thin C clips. That's why when I was a kid you would see Cadillacs, big Buicks and Oldsmobiles on the hook with the axle out on the tow truck bed. Green bearings are a compromise which is by definition not great at anything just covers everything. If the stock tapered rollers are that difficult to set, you might need a different hobby, convenient okay. I have both so, for different reasons.

Let’s not forget, the axle housing isn’t perfectly straight and a tapered cone bearing takes up the slop.

Not sure which has a greater polar divide...politics or axle bearings..

Not sure which has a greater polar divide...politics or axle bearings..

MAYBE.....but perhaps a close third place candidate is an understanding of the thermodynamic principles related to automotive cooling systems and the rate of temperature change, velocity, and BTU/Hr exchanged.......but which spark plugs are best and which oil type is best and high volume - vs - high pressure oil pumps are best are alternate topics.....subject to personal preferences and the "my buddies friend's" rule.
BOB RENTON

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back