• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grill resto

VFilms

Local time
1:05 PM
Reaction score
I know there're videos all over the web about this but I thought I'd share my own experience in restoring the grill off my 66 Belvedere.
The grill was in pretty bad shape, dull, anodizing chipped, pitted and had a very big dent in the lower rail. After tapping out the dent, filing and sanding, I tried sanding the rest of the grill with 220 to remove the anodizing. After doing a small area I found some deep sanding marks. So I tried Simple Green spray on cleaner and waited, and waited. After cleaning well - never mix chemicals - I went the EZ Off oven cleaner route. After hours, there was a slight difference. Finally, in a move of desperation, I got some caustic soda. Please read the instructions and cautions very carefully as this is dangerous stuff if not used properly. Wear protective clothing, gloves, eye protection - a full face shield is preferred, and respirator. As I could not submerge the entire grill in a bucket, I mixed a small solution and brushed it on the grill. It didn't take long and I saw the anodizing begin to dissolve away, leaving the aluminum dull. After a thorough cleaning I sanded with 400 and moved my way up to 1800. Though time consuming and tedious, that was the easy part. I sanded everything to a smooth finish - I could have gone to 2000 grit but I felt the Tripoli rouge would take care of any scratches left behind. I bought a nice buffing motor and pads from Harbor Freight for $40 and some red Tripoli and green finishing rouge and went to work. It took hours but I'm happy with the results. Getting the faces of the rails and top are relatively easy. It's getting between the rails that took so much time. Some had to be done by hand. After cleaning with soap and water I applied a good metal polish. I must admit, it's not perfect but I'm happy with it. It's a 50 year old grill going on a driver. I'm sure a professional with all the right tools could have been a little better job, but if you have more time than money, it can be done. Lastly, I have a new found respect for those professionals who do this every day. It's hard work and they should be applauded. Now on to the headlight doors an the rest of the bright work, which should be a piece of cake.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 246
  • FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 228
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 238
Nice job!

I agree, nice job indeed.