• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ground trouble

coronet66

Local time
5:34 PM
Reaction score
Is there a common ground wire that runs to the instrument panel? My car lost all power after checking usual stuff and nothing happening, I was moving wires under the dash and the lights came on. when I let go, they turned off. I don't see anything loose under the dash. Any help would be appreciated.

The ground is the screws that you take out to remove the panel. I doubt that is the issue...but you could always run a separate ground to be sure. Most likely loose connection on that particular wire.

There wasn't a particular wire, it was a bunch of wires. I looked for a loose wire but couldn't find one. That's why I was asking about a common ground. So do I need to check individual wires behind my dash?

Is it the connector that comes from the column? A big white clip with 6 or 7 wires in it? If so I would start there and see what's what in that clip. Failing there being an obvious issue there then the cabin side of the bulkhead connector perhaps. Hard to say. Something is loose obviously. But I doubt it is a ground under the circumstances.

my car is a 66 coronet 500 383 4spd if that helps. Do I have that clip in this car?

Well idk to be honest. I only ever had 68-70 bbodies. So your car won't start or anything? If you hold the wire and get the lights to come on will it start? Have you removed the bulkhead connector to see if there is heavy corrosion on the pins/connections?

Yea, it will start if I hold the wires, when I let go it dies. I have removed the bulk head connections, cleaned and used dialetric grease before reinserting.

Something is loose behind your dash. You will just have to find it. Just go through the wires methodically and trace them out making sure the connections are good and no cut/burns along the way. Sorry I know that's not a great answer but that's about all you can do. If you find something obviously whacked out start there and test as you go. Use a continuity tester as an aid.

Good luck.

Yea, I hear you. It's just weird that a ground wire behind my dash will kill power to the whole car. I've never seen that before.

Ground control to Major Tom.... check the fuse box and may God's love be with you.

Check the red wire that runs to your amp meter. That is the power wire into your car. Connects to the stud on the backside of the ampmeter. The other wire coming off the ampmeter goes to the fuse box and several other items (including back out the bulkhead and to the alternator). You could have a loose connection or bad wire to that ampmeter, or the splice inside the harness that splits to the fuse box and other items may have come apart. Good luck.

OK, just got done taking my instrument panel out and there are no wires going to my amp meter. Just a round connector that plugs in to the back of the panel. everything looks fine with the connector but I was checking everything and there's a thick black wire that goes thru the fire wall, I don't know where it goes after that because it's all taped up with other wires. Anybody know where that would go?

You can go to mymopar.com and get a complete wiring diagram for your car it may not be a grounding issue at all have you check continuity to ground at dash, ign. sw. etc..... Also check the starter relay on firewall for pwr. and a good ground. The thing with most wiring issues is you start small first.. 9 out of 10 times it is something so small you look it over two or three times.

Found the problem, had 2 wires melted together at the firewall, inside the car. Can anyone tell me how to disconnect that harness.

Here's your wiring schematics:

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1966/66CoronetA.JPG

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1966/66CoronetB.JPG

The harness connectors have a eared slot on each side of them. Pry those back just a little so they clear the tabs on the bulkhead connector. Black wire runs to your alternator. That's if no one has modified the harness. By the sounds of it, someone has. You ammeter is a shunt style unit. It should have 2 studs coming out of it. On one side, you'll have a heavy gauge wire that runs through the bulkhead connector, comes out the other side, has a fusible link and then attaches to the starter relay. The other heavy wire runs from the alternator, through the bulkhead connector and then to the ammeter. Good luck

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm in the process of buying a harness from smithchargers on this site. hopefully that will fix it.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's your wiring schematics:

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1966/66CoronetA.JPG

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1966/66CoronetB.JPG

The harness connectors have a eared slot on each side of them. Pry those back just a little so they clear the tabs on the bulkhead connector. Black wire runs to your alternator. That's if no one has modified the harness. By the sounds of it, someone has. You ammeter is a shunt style unit. It should have 2 studs coming out of it. On one side, you'll have a heavy gauge wire that runs through the bulkhead connector, comes out the other side, has a fusible link and then attaches to the starter relay. The other heavy wire runs from the alternator, through the bulkhead connector and then to the ammeter. Good luck

It looks like they hacked it up to install a new stereo, thats the only thing I can see thats been done. duno

I found the small terminal lug on my starter loose, would this fry my wiring? also, If I have an aftermarket amp/volt gauge can I tap into the existing wires or should I run separate wires? Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back