• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ground Wire

clazar

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:47 AM
Reaction score
1970 RR 440. I'm thinking about putting a ground wire on my engine. Does someone have made up already or do we just make one. If we make one, what gauge wire & where to connect it.

1970 RR 440. I'm thinking about putting a ground wire on my engine. Does someone have made up already or do we just make one. If we make one, what gauge wire & where to connect it.
Where does your battery negative cable hook up? Should be the left front intake bolt unless you have a trunk mounted battery. The factory used a woven, flat "cable" to connect the engine to the firewall. All this sort of items is available at any auto parts store. Larger gauge wire is always better.
Mike

70 ground cable has a secondary lead that bolts to the radiator support. No need for the rear right cylinder head to firewall lead, alla '69. But it doesn't hurt to do so direct to the VR case bolt.

With electronic ignition. Should i ground it to the VR case or ECU case ?? Or does it matter ??

With electronic ignition. Should i ground it to the VR case or ECU case ?? Or does it matter ??
Ground them both......from the voltage regulator case mounting to the ECU case mounting screw ro the engine block...in some out of the way location. #10 AWG stranded copper wire with soldered and crimped on terminals to allow for flexibility......two grounds are always better than one........
BOB RENTON

I put my battery in the trunk. I have 2 ground straps that are 8 gauge that goes from the back of the block to firewall. Then a 1 gauge cable from the front of the head to frame. Might be overkill. But it's better to be well grounded.

I put my battery in the trunk. I have 2 ground straps that are 8 gauge that goes from the back of the block to firewall. Then a 1 gauge cable from the front of the head to frame. Might be overkill. But it's better to be well grounded.
Poster is not fighting a ground problem. He is just needs a temporary ground to run a test.

When you put the battery in the trunk you need a large ground from engine to the frame for the starter.

70 ground cable has a secondary lead that bolts to the radiator support. No need for the rear right cylinder head to firewall lead, alla '69. But it doesn't hurt to do so direct to the VR case bolt.
So chyrsler ditched the rear ground strap in 70?

I always put a ground hub next to the battery and run the small ground off the battery cable to it, ground everything in the engine bay to the hub.
I put one in the interior as well and ground it to the engine bay hub.

a bit off topic, but… as far I recall my 74 got it from factory. I found the terminal still attached to the firewall on my car (without the rest of the strap thought). Sure my car was assembled outside USA, BUT…

B bodies only? My 70 Swinger has a wire but not a strap.

4-12-18 082.jpg

I'm thinking seriously about mating a "master" ground wire with the the battery ground at the radiator support and making it run around the apron and firewall so I can create a direct to battery ground for my VR, ECM and alternator case..... does this make sense?.... would there be a down side to that other than the non original appearance?

I'm thinking seriously about mating a "master" ground wire with the the battery ground at the radiator support and making it run around the apron and firewall so I can create a direct to battery ground for my VR, ECM and alternator case..... does this make sense?.... would there be a down side to that other than the non original appearance?
look at post # 13

Yep...... that's what seems most reliable to me, so extra wire be damned...... I'm gonna do that!
Since the alternator is physically bolted to the engine blbock thru the mounting bolts, and the battery's negative cable is bolted to the engine bock, a separate ground is NOT needed. A seperate ground to the ECM housing, and the voltage regulator case to insure a good ground to the battery's negative connection (engine block) is recommended. IMO...a MASTER ground wire loop is redundant and not necessary......if this is something you feel is required......sort of like wearing a belt and suspenders.......have at it.......
BOB RENTON

My battery is in the trunk, ground is through a nut welded to the roll bar floor plate which is also welded to the structure. I added a ground from the transmission extension housing to a 1/2" set screw that presses into the torsion bar cross member for circuit completion. 0 gauge cable.
Mike
IMG_2654.JPG
IMG_1722.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back