• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GTX Prices

68BabyBlue

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:01 AM
Reaction score
My actual experience in the GTX market has once again confirmed my theory that there are two separate markets for these cars - hobbyist to hobbyist (with relatively lower pricing), and the full force marketing arena, exemplified by the auction companies, and high end dealers.

A few months ago, I posted my restored, numbers matching Track Pak car on this site, and it was a no sale, one serious inquiry, potential buyer purchased a competing GTX one state over. I then placed the GTX on the Cars On Line website, and sold it in 24 hours to a multi-make collector with seriously deep pockets.

The GAA auction company sold it yesterday for $63,000. I sold it for considerably less, and my buyer made a relatively small amount by the time he was done with the expenses of getting the car on the auction block. The auction company made out way better than either of us. They earn their cut by getting the car in front of the high end retail market.

This is why I've bought all my GTXs from private parties.

IMG_2278.JPG

I recently sold my restored driver 426 4-spd Sport Fury to a local guy in 10 days
for 27K. The only inquiries I got from out of state were people who wanted to "help" me sell it, or scams. I think what you mention certainly exists, but much more so for higher end cars.

Was it auctioned with No reserve?
If so that was a gamble.

Was it auctioned with No reserve?
If so that was a gamble.
Had a reserve. I was going to put the car on the block at Mecum last year with reserve before Covid shut the auctions down. Still would have had the risk of entry fees and transport costs not recovered if reserve not met. Seller takes risk to get the top price. Auction company wins no matter what.

Yep. If you search 1969 gtx on eBay or hemmings, etc. Almost all of the returns look like classic car broker sites. Very hard to find individuals selling their cars except on car boards like this. And prices are damn high.

Very nice car.
Sorry you lost out man, that's a good lesson to us all.
GAA reaches out to the masses, internet and overseas buyers too

What happened to yesterdays' thread on this topic?

Very nice car.
Sorry you lost out man, that's a good lesson to us all.
GAA reaches out to the masses, internet and overseas buyers too
Actually, I felt I did well. I sold the car for what I would have got if it had gone to Mecum and made my reserve. The car I replaced it with came from this site, and I got a good deal from a fellow Mopar guy. My buyer took risk to make a small amount (to him it was play money). I took zero risk, and devoted no time or money to marketing. Total of 15 minutes on the phone, next weekend a car trailer showed up at my doorstep, and I was paid in full, no issues of any kind. That's about as good as it gets in my book, when you're trying to liquidate one of these things. I'm not in it for making money, I just don't want to be raked over the coals.

Agreed: I would never buy or sell through a dealer or auction house.

having been on the buying end last year before I bought the car I did. A vast majority of what I felt to be the better cars ,,,,,,,,,were at dealers

Some were dealer owned , some were consignments . Most if not all were towards the upper end of the market at the time. And the market seemed to be changing weekly, at least it sure felt like it . Prices were rising steadily.
I bought mine private party. BUT my seller was a long time very good friend of mine and I dont feel the price I paid is a fair comparison to todays market .

In regards to to auctions. The few cars I kept and eye on I feel they were hit or miss . Lots of no sales on what seemed like good cars

As for your former car, IMO you left money on the table. (aka sold it to cheap) BUT it sold and you moved on. And , its a lot easier to buy once its folded up and in your pocket .
BUT , I think you did VERY well on its replacement ,,,,,,,,,,so in reality its a wash.

Auto Transport Service
Back