• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

gusher

cwhubb

Local time
5:24 AM
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a 70 charger that has the a/c system removed the ac heater combo box is still intact. I want to be able to use the heater so my question is if I connect the heater hoses from the heater core to the water pump will coolant gush from the ac water valve pipes?

Thanks

THere's no water that runs to the A/C. It is charged with pressurized refrigerant. Used to be R/12. Now R/134A. If coolant leaks out when you hook the hoses up, that means the heater core is bad and needs to be replaced.

Here is an older pic on my 69 RR I didn't want to pull it out until I had fab'ed up a nice piece of aluminum blank so I just wire wheeled it to make it look clean. I saw on ebay some one is selling 5/8 and 1/2" caps if you want to cap them but no water is in it and its up to you. you are safe.

IMAG0415-1.gif

THere's no water that runs to the A/C. It is charged with pressurized refrigerant. Used to be R/12. Now R/134A. If coolant leaks out when you hook the hoses up, that means the heater core is bad and needs to be replaced.

Thanks Rusty, It just seemed counter intuitive to me, in my squirrel driven mind those pipes equaled water. On to the leak test... hmm brown gook slime or aromatic green puddle.

BTW, very nice engine compartment. is that the original car color?

Hello all, I have a 70 charger that has the a/c system removed the ac heater combo box is still intact. I want to be able to use the heater so my question is if I connect the heater hoses from the heater core to the water pump will coolant gush from the ac water valve pipes?

Thanks

Thank you all for the help, It goes to show that you can always learn more stuff no matter how long you've been at it

Auto Transport Service
Back