• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guys too many threads to search need help!

Dad's69RR

Local time
8:47 AM
Reaction score
Ok I have been away for awhile but finally after 9 years I have my Dad’s car 95% finished. Long story short, the shop that painted the car also installed my instrument specialties plug and play dash, which was very expensive, and I said I would work the bugs out. The car runs and drives great but no fuel, no temp, no back up, no wipers(installed 3 speed)and no speedo. I can figure out the Speedo but having trouble tracing electrical issues. I have read many posts about the voltage limiter so I will start there. I grounded the temp wire with key on and gauge didn’t move. Look at pic does there need to be a separate ground to chassis from the limiter?
Question 2 the Schematic shows a wire from C to Z but not sure if this is problem for no backups?

6FE5D25E-7FED-442C-8A0F-9226E3C12F79.jpeg

E1B6750E-A0B2-436E-B16D-EDBC048EE6B8.jpeg

The "Z" spot in the bulkhead connector is used for the dash reverse lamp if you have a 4-speed. Try running a temporary ground wire directly to your dash frame. Sometimes new paint will interfere with the dash frame ground....

Going by your start relay and reverse harness looks like this is a 4 speed. If you grounded the wire that’s connected to the oil sending unit with the key on and the gauge didn’t move then you have a few possibilities of why.
first thing could be a bad voltage limiter. So try grounding the temp sending unit wire with the key in run to see if the temp gauge moves to full right. If it doesn’t work then I would look at the limiter and next make sure you have the dash properly grounded to the chassis. Also if you have a reverse indicator on the dash your missing the wire that is crimped in with the black with white tracer wire in the reverse light harness. And on the wipers did you install the correct 3 speed wiper switch?

Last edited:
Here’s a pic of the reverse harness to help understand the wire I’m talking about for your reverse indicator light.
FF67EC69-FA1E-44D8-8B64-95D2DD09DB94.jpeg

EB157246-C192-49BF-AD3D-03334BA0603E.jpeg

I did ground temp wire and no movement on gauge. I do have a reverse indicator and there is a third wire there it’s just taped to other wires does it go in same slot? Yes I did install correct 3 speed switch and transmission.

Yes slot Z is where it goes. Also pull the bottom bulkhead connector and make sure your indicator light wire terminal is in the bulkhead.

Ok now I see that is the wire that goes in Z slot. Thank you for that.

Thanks Bee, so is there one open prong on the limiter next to yellow?
The component your calling the limiter is the start relay. The limiter is on the instrument cluster circuit board under the dash. looking closer your start relay pic it has a second blade post you have the wrong relay I think that one is for an auto trans car.

My mistake.
No worries we gotta get you squared away on your gauges as well. So try grounding the oil sending unit wire and see if you get gauge movement. Is the engine to chassis ground a good low resistance connection?

Thanks Bee, so is there one open prong on the limiter next to yellow?
You have a starter relay for an automatic if you have a terminal left. A standard relay has the case grounded to the coil wiring. .. you need to put a ground wire to the extra lug if you want to use that relay.

Thank you guys I know I am so close! Looking at wiring diagram does having a tach have anything to do with grounding at coil?

Thank you guys I know I am so close! Looking at wiring diagram does having a tach have anything to do with grounding at coil?
Are you speaking of a factory tach? I don’t see your tach wire coming through the firewall. The coil will have a wire from the ballast resistor on the positive post and your distributor wire along with the tach wire on the negative post on the coil. Is this points or electronic ignition?

Are you speaking of a factory tach? I don’t see your tach wire coming through the firewall. The coil will have a wire from the ballast resistor on the positive post and your distributor wire along with the tach wire on the negative post on the coil.
Had Instrument specialties put in factory tach. I am sure where the wire comes through firewall is not correct but I can trace it to the coil.

Had Instrument specialties put in factory tach. I am sure where the wire comes through firewall is not correct but I can trace it to the coil.
Here’s where the factory tach wire should come through the firewall. Yellow arrow.
53F982B2-BB6C-4781-8685-9719C7FE4DD9.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back