• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harland sharp roller rocker clearance question.

rkohlman2013

Local time
7:09 AM
Reaction score
Well i have an issue. I did a head swap on my 383. Went to a edelbrock head e street head, got a good deal on them. So read thru all the instructions and never once did it say anything about them needing a set of roller rockers specifically for edelbrock heads. So long story short, went to set up my rockers (harland sharp) and guess what, the 1.55 springs hit the fulcrum. So thats when google machine happened and i found out that they make rockers specifically for E heads and trick flow 240’s. So here is my question to the experts, can i got to a 1.450 spring (i have a set of lunati 73100-16) and make this work or do i just need to throw in the towel, buy new rockers? Thanks for the help.

Ryan

You 'likely' won't need new rockers ($$$) if you switch to the smaller OD spring/retainer. Or, you could call Mike @B3RE racing and see what he says...for a couple hundred bones he custom machines spacers to move the rocker shaft up and away from the valves. Not much more dough than new good springs, and much less than new arms while improving the geometry at the same time.

IF the 1.450 springs are strong enough to work with the cam you've got, sure, why not? You might need a locator to center them up in the valve spring pocket.

What about using a "beehive" spring ??

I will give him a call tomorrow. The springs will work fine, cam is a 268/284 purpleshaft and the rockers are 1.6. I also am using a hughes rocker stud/hold down so will probably have to at least get some new studs. But your right, few hundred bucks is cheaper than 1200 bucks lol.

Does it hit the spring, or the retainer? They make different retainers that might make the difference.

IMO, best to run the smallest diameter springs you can to attain the pressures required.

I would join the 21st century & use beehive springs; large selection available now. Bonus: less seat &over-the-nose tension reqd, easier on the valvetrain.

I love the Bee Hive Springs and ruin them on most everything.

Or: You could mark and carefully grind .030 or .040 from the rockers
where the interference is. I have had to do this on our Superstock cars
that have huge springs and wild cams with no problem. Just do not go
nuts with the grinder and you would be fine = Plus save some Bucks!

I’m curious as to whether or not the springs/retainers are the as supplied Ede parts or something else.
Are the HS rockers genuine HS, or the Mancini rockers?

Before HS even made the Ede specific rockers I used several sets of them on RPM heads....... they had plenty of spring clearance.

I’m curious as to whether or not the springs/retainers are the as supplied Ede parts or something else.
Are the HS rockers genuine HS, or the Mancini rockers?

Before HS even made the Ede specific rockers I used several sets of them on RPM heads....... they had plenty of spring clearance.
Well. So there is plenty of clearance now. Yes they are eddy springs, and the are harland sharp rockers. The actual problem was that they were not sitting flush on the rocker shaft bosses. The problem was one of the rockers was making contact with the rocker stand on the head. Engine is in the car and it was hard to see but with more time and better light it appears the rocker center on the valve stem hits the head. So it was making the shaft sit rotated forward. So i removed the one rocker that was making contact and it sat flush and had good clearance. Driver side fits fine as well. I guess i can clearance the area thats making contact on the head? Its the only way i can see that the roller will sit centered on the valve stem.

AA01D8D3-B407-4B7A-B309-0DA4D558BBA6.jpeg

A5774992-4D1F-4E8C-9A14-13B89CCF41A9.jpeg

A03B075D-AEA2-4998-89C8-638FBADF5335.jpeg

4ED9849B-134C-43B7-A4F3-26C849F3299E.jpeg

If this is the problem you’re worried about, then yes....... you should clearance the head.

This is why I like to mock up the rocker arms on theads, while they’re on the bench....... before installation.

2485D4F4-81F6-46B5-ACA5-35766A8F9BB0.png

Auto Transport Service
Back