• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone used Instrument Specialties to restore their dash?

I don't know how much time these guys spend. It would be a good alternative for low buck driver quality guys like me to get the whole gig done for about 2k in about 2 weeks. Does not have to be concours. The rest of the car certainly isn't.
Then IS wouldn't be for you.......They cater to a specific clientele......

I have restored many dashes myself.....The only things I would farm out is the plastic chrome, the switches and the volt conversion.......With that being said if you have the paint skills and capabilities the dash and pads can be done also.......One can do an at home OE style job for a fraction of the cost.......

It falls into the do it yourself category or the I don't want to Dick with it category........One you pay more for than the other....

I’m not bagging on anyone that pays for services needed. You got the means, go for it. It’s my opinion that it’s expensive, but I also understand the talent, tools, experience and time that goes into redoing these.

I’m not bagging on anyone that pays for services needed. You got the means, go for it. It’s my opinion that it’s expensive, but I also understand the talent, tools, experience and time that goes into redoing these.
We are on the same page Zack.......Where one can make out well using them is to have them do certain individual parts.....When you want a turn key dash is where they get ya.......

They do a phenomenal job on the OE correct look painting the frame/glove box(along with everything else dash related).....They also are stellar at dying the pads.....

Just keep in mind guys all the plastic chrome they farm out and the other platings........Hence, is where I say everything else you can farm out to other vendors and save in overall cost......Thats is if you do not have the ability to paint nor want to tackle any dash stuff.....

I just shipped my rallye non ac dash up there and my quote was north of 6k. I didn't even ask for the bluetooth and usb upgrade on the radio,lol. I was quoted a turn around time of 8-12 months but my steering column would be done much sooner.

I just shipped my rallye non ac dash up there and my quote was north of 6k. I didn't even ask for the bluetooth and usb upgrade on the radio,lol. I was quoted a turn around time of 8-12 months but my steering column would be done much sooner.
OMG. The patience around here is amazing.

OMG. The patience around here is amazing.
And if you do not call and stay on top of it.....it will be longer.......

If you coordinate it well with the build the wait is not that bad overall.....Best path to take it to send everything out just before you take the car to paint and body......If not restoring the car and just doing the dash.....send it out just before winter.....

But 8-12 months is ridiculous......

had my cluster rebuilt and polished with volt meter upgrade looks like brand new. I.S. is the chit!

And if you do not call and stay on top of it.....it will be longer.......

If you coordinate it well with the build the wait is not that bad overall.....Best path to take it to send everything out just before you take the car to paint and body......If not restoring the car and just doing the dash.....send it out just before winter.....

But 8-12 months is ridiculous......
This is my plan, winters coming and I'm in a slow build trajectory so timing made sense for me

This is my plan, winters coming and I'm in a slow build trajectory so timing made sense for me
I did the same thing with IS.......Whenever I do a build I ship everything out four months prior to the car going to body and paint. Typically, with the right shop and previous experience their window for body and paint is usually 6-10 months...4 months added to that allots for the typical vendor delays. So when I get the car back I pretty much have everything ready to go.......With the exception of unknowns and redo's........

It sounds like you are on the same path.......If they give you any nonsense, pm me......I would be glad to help if needed...

Justin

Sorry, one year and North of 6 k is no good for me. Not the $$$, but I'm 64 and want to Drive my car while my left leg still works. If most is sent out, then he is a broker. We need a special forum for high rollers in their 40's.

Sorry, one year and North of 6 k is no good for me. Not the $$$, but I'm 64 and want to Drive my car while my left leg still works. If most is sent out, then he is a broker. We need a special forum for high rollers in their 40's.
Dennis

You do realize this thread is solely about Instrument Specialities......They provide a service at their pricing......It is a personal choice at that point.......It is a hobby and their are all kinds of vendors that cater to specific choices and pricing......We cannot tell a business how to run their business when they have ZERO problem getting paying customers...

Have you looked into what it takes to operate a plating company? I do not blame them one bit for not stepping into that nightmare...It would be cost ineffective......Everything else they do in house other than buying parts needed from vendors etc to finish a dash....

With that being said do you want me to restore your dash? I would do it at much better pricing and a huge difference in a realistic timeframe?

Justin

Dennis
What you need to do is look into getting some spare parts...
Send out a spare cluster & bezels while you keep driving... When you gather all your parts swap them out & sell your old parts to get some $$ back.. Or don't...

I used these guys, G Car (http://www.gcartrim.com/). I was pleased with the workmanship and price. I think he outsourced the electronic work to Redline. He white faced my gauges (63 Plymouth) and converted my clock to a tach. Good guy.

Plymouth Instrument Cluster.jpg

Plymouth Instrument Cluster.jpg

Hello Everyone,
Just wondering if anyone here has used Instrument Specialties to restore their dash. Looks like that's who Graveyard Carz uses and it looks like they do great work. Just wondering what they charge? I know the price depends on what they have to do. I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

Thanks for your input ~ Lenny B

PS - I have a 1968 Coronet dash in working order but showing its age I'd like to send to them.

IS did my instrument housing (paint and 'rechrome' the plastic and the glovebox door) for my '66 Belvedere. I did the gauges. They did a great job but as everyone has said they're pricey - close to $500. I'm always bothered by Belvedere/Satellite owners who put dollars into complete interiors and don't address the faded chrome on their dash.

had my cluster redone by these guys about 6 months ago, everything worked properly, tach died after about 40 minutes of run time, had to remove cluster anyway to replace a chrome cover on a switch. I emailed Tom yesterday and told him what happened. Well I got a call from him this morning instructing me on a simple test to see if the tach has an issue or a wiring problem to it. then he said if its the tach send it to him and warranty work is priority and would be repaired and sent back asap. Now thats CUSTOMER SERVICE! would highly reccommend Instrument specialties to anyone, sure they are a bit pricey but when you do a good job and stand behind it thats what its about.

They did mine. They do great work but knowing what I know now I would of attempted it myself. Some of there stuff is farmed out and I now know the different vendors to get it done much cheaper.
They also converted the amp gauge in to a volt meter. View attachment 418135 View attachment 418136 View attachment 418137

From what you learned what would you think you could do with the dash? Looking to restore a 1970 Charger RT dash but they want 7000. Seems a bit steep. I have new dash plates and a Dakota gauge kit. What would you recommend?

I ordered these gauges from Speedhut and then made my own custom dash. These gauges are made to order, custom gauges also, the speedometer is GPS so no worry about matching cable when doing a transmission update. However, you have to be willing to cut into your stock dash and modify it.

dash.jpg gauge 1.jpg

You could just have your gauge cluster redone and updated by Shannon at Redline Gaugeworks. He’s a big Mopar guy too. Awesome guy.

Well for a turn key job at Instruemnt Specialties I was just quoted $6500-$8500. I almost freaking passed out. There is no damn way I ever pay that.

Auto Transport Service
Back