• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

have question on rear wheel width and largest tire size for my 67 Coronet

I see. That's funny that I never noticed that. Makes me want to cut off my quarters and stitch up some Charger ones on the Express.

Don't do it, it looks funny. More than one pic of that on the interwebs.

...and the limiting dimension on the Coronet and Plymouth is about where the middle body line is on the Coronet.
The outer wheel house has an indentation there.

Mine rubbed where that push in above rear wheel opening.

Also, not all cars are the same on both sides nor are they always exactly the same in body dimensions. Years back I made up a set of 8" wide Rally wheels for my 71 Cuda and before I welded them up, the thought hit me to check BOTH sides to make sure it was the same and it was a good thing I did that because one wheel had to be adjusted slightly. I mounted a tire on one just for doing a mock up. Kinda figured the car had been wrecked somewhere along it's life but just couldn't find any evidence of that. Another time I bought a piece of tail trim (the argent piece that goes across the whole car) for a nice 70 Challenger and the damn thing didn't fit. It was nearly a 1/4" too long but it fit my other 70 Challenger....a well used up rag top. The trim was NOS and not a repop. I thought about that trim piece when doing the wheels and decided to check the Cuda....

Mine rubbed where that push in above rear wheel opening.
Yep, I have been eyeing that bulge too. I have tubed the wells to the frame rail but I don't like the bulge behind the quarter when it could just as easily go straight up and then over the top. I expect I'll be cutting those and modifying them soon. I want to use M/T Sportsman 29x15-15's and the section width is exactly 15 inches. That is about 1/4 inch from the frame rail and the same from the well lip. If I don't modify those bulges it will have to sit too high for my tastes, I want the stance lower. I think the bulge is there to push out against the quarter skin around the wheel well to keep it from warping. It's beginning to look like I might never be done with the metal work on the Express.

Yeah, the plymouth "bulge" is not as big as the dodge's. Also true about one side less than other. Not always , but can happen.

-Google jimmy addison's silver bullet. See what he did Love it or hate it?? Go to images.

Well I was able to get 275/60-15 BFGoodrich T/A's on 15x8 with 4.5" backspace to fit under my '67 Satellite.

Compared to the 235/60-14's that were on there:
image2_zpsmzzcvuzu.jpg

image1_zpsugvsgr5u.jpg

image3_zpscdthgkdf.jpg

image4_zpsbu677siu.jpg

Video of both sides:

Be careful at first, those are awfully close on the outside.....
That does sit pretty high in the back though.

I have air shocks on the back and it could stand to come down a bit. I have a little more pressure on there to pick it up when the 14's were on there and didn't adjust after the test fit.

The wheels are an old set my Dad bought for his '68 Charger. I was mainly trying to see if I could get away with off the shelf backspace (4.5") or if I'd have to go the customs route. Ideally 4 3/4 would probably be the sweet spot but it at least I know how much room I have to work with now.

Did you have to jack springs down to get tire into wheel well. I have 11" drums and hemi springs and had to put a bottle jack to jack down the spring to get the tire in the well. ( I made a note of this in an earlier post and that I kept the bottle jack in trunk to change a flat.) I think your right about rubbing going around corner's mine did, and polished the wheel tub.

Will 17x7 with 4. 25 backspacing fit on my 67 coronet? If so what is the largest tire I can comfortably run.

those 66/67 wheel wells are very narrow.

Car needs to be up and springs need to be down in order to change any tall-ish tire.

...and of course, any excessive width makes it worse.

If you haven't read early posts you should. Figure the sectional width of the tires other guy put on there cars. This would give you an idea of how much sectional width will fit. See who else chimes in, I could be all wet.

Did you have to jack springs down to get tire into wheel well. I have 11" drums and hemi springs and had to put a bottle jack to jack down the spring to get the tire in the well. ( I made a note of this in an earlier post and that I kept the bottle jack in trunk to change a flat.) I think your right about rubbing going around corner's mine did, and polished the wheel tub.

I didn't need to do anything to the springs, but I had to get the car pretty high due to the tire height and tucking it under the lip. I guess what I'm gonna have to do is throw my alumimun jack in the truck and have with with me in case of a flat. Small price to pay to get the wheel/tire size I want.

Be careful at first, those are awfully close on the outside.....
That does sit pretty high in the back though.

Very close indeed. While this setup "fits", I was more test fitting to see how much pace I had in the back to get a custom set of wheels built. After seeing what I have to work with, I'll probably order a set of 15x8 with 5" of backspace. If things to get too tight in back I'll a tiny spacer to move it out.

I also dropped the PSI in the air shocks to lower it a little...looks much better now.

image3%201_zpskij1zb28.jpg

image1%201_zpsid8ozzjf.jpg

image2%201_zps6z5lmntm.jpg

Will 17x7 with 4. 25 backspacing fit on my 67 coronet? If so what is the largest tire I can comfortably run.

On the setup I posted with the 15x8 and 4.5" backspace I have 3.5" of lip from the drum out. With a 17x7 and 4.25" backspace you'll have 2.75.

From what I've seen if you want to play it safe go with 255/50-17. Depending on the tire you'll have a 10-10.3" section width which. It's roughly the same dimensions as 255/60-15.

28x9 is from what I've read is the largest tire, but 235/50/17 adds up to 26.6x9.3. I'm so confused.

28x9 is from what I've read is the largest tire, but 235/50/17 adds up to 26.6x9.3. I'm so confused.

A tire that is advertised as 28x9 means it's 28" tall and has a tread width of 9". A tire with a 9" tread will have a larger section width to account for the sidewall bulge. For example, a Hoosier slick that is listed as 28x9-15 has a section width of around 11.1". This is because when mounted there are parts of the sidewall that extend past the actual tread on the tire.

tire-size-chart-orozcos.png

From what I've seen on my car, as well as what I've heard other share if you run a wheel with 4.5" backspace and just barely squeeze a tire with 11" section width in there. To do it right and have more room one would really need to get something with either a touch more backspace or a touch less section width. In your scenario you've lost 1/4" of backspace so in order not to rub you'll need your section width to also go down. That's why I recommend the 255/50-17. If you look at Nitto's site you'll see their NT450 in that size is advertised with a 10.16" section width while mounted on a 8" rim. Even it bulges a little more due to the 7" wheel, you'll probably still be OK. If you really want to play it safe you can go down to 225/50-17, I just don't recommend them because it more of a rubber band look and they have a lower load rating.

Auto Transport Service
Back