• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have to install electric fuel pump 68 gtx. WHERE DO I START ?

Not trying to bump this excellent thread - but can I ask if it's okay to prime the carbs a couple of times a year when it's been sitting for a long time? I have a similar problem - don't drive the car often but wondering if I have to go thru all this stuff just to solve that problem. I have a Six Pack so it needs a little juice it seems after sitting. I've used a mechanical pump for many years - but now the car sits longer and that's how I've been getting it started. Is that a problem......?

I was thinking that too. If only a few times a year, change your start routine by priming the carbs with fuel through the vent tubes. Fill the bowls then crank.

I made up a bracket and will post a pic after mounted. It takes some thought here and you will be crawling under the car a zillion times and bending up lines. I am trying to route right into my old line and up to the carb. I to have a mild cam in the car ( possible one up from stock cam ). I am gonna still run through the second filter ( under hood ).That filter has the the bypass back to the tank ( evaporator line,return line. what ever they call it ). Then up to carb. Oh yeah I do have a regulator to install in engine bay. Stay tuned and I will hopefully get pics when finished.

somebody else may know for sure. I still have that boiling off issue after hot ( even with carb spacer so that would not work for me ) good luck.

mounted fuel pump on fabricated bracket.

Well fuel pump mounted. This is were its going!

Attachments

• 0516151119.jpg
    0516151119.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 432
  • 0516151121.jpg
    0516151121.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 434
  • 0516151120.jpg
    0516151120.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 418
Well fuel pump mounted. This is were its going!

I was researching the same question only to come to the end of this topic...sandwiched in between the fuel tank and the rear end? Is it touching the rear end? Yeah none of that stuff moves around, it'll all be fine...

Myself I always use an electric pump on my muscle car with the pump gas we have today as its worth it. It works better first off having the fuel pushed up to the carb under pressure instead of being pulled up by the mechanical pump. And fuel under pressure wont vapor lock as easy as fuel being pulled up to the the pump by vacum. I used the Holley red pump for many years since it needs no external regulator. Mounted it back by the stock gas tank and hooked it to the stock sending unit and to the stock line up to the carb. Its set at about 6 psi and works fine. I still have the red Holley red pump on my sons Dart with the stock 5/16 fuel line and its run 11.40's @ 117 with that setup. I actually had the red pump on my 63 the first time it ran 10.70's. I did switch to the black pump with the external reg as I wanted to be sure the 493 got enough fuel and its no faster so that red pump works pretty good. I also have 3/8 line on my 63 vs the stock 5/16 on my sons Dart. I like the electric pump as you have much less chance of vapor lock and you dont have to worry about the fuel pump rod on bigblocks and you do have full carb bowls by turning the key on before you even crank the eng even if it sits a year or more. I will never use a mech pump on my muscle car anymore. Ron

I had the same issue, fuel would dry up and flow back to the tank .. I installed a fuel check valve in the line and it solved the problem .. usually fires up after a couple of seconds of cranking now

I have a 69 GTX. I had an external electric fuel pump mounted rear near the fuel tank. It was loud. I replaced it with a new one, shock mounted it with rubber stand offs and it was still loud. I finally installed an electric fuel pump in the gas tank along with a new fuel lines: supply and return. I insulated the supply and return lines. This made a huge difference in sound and start up.
1969 GTX
440 Stroked to 520 would like to replace with the new 426 1000hp hemi motor.
Infinity wiring
fitech 1200 carb
Qa1 front suspension
Moshimoto aluminum radiator
Planned: Dakota Digital upgraded dash
Planned; New steering column
Planned; repaint
Planned: new interior

4 year old thread. Electric pump won’t solve problem.

How loud is it?
I ended up putting in a Mr. Gasket electric pump and running the return line. Couldn’t mount it back by the tank so it’s mounted fairly close or in the same neighborhood as the old mechanical one. Heat soak is gone, car starts like a champ every time. It’s a little noisy for the 3-5 seconds you hear it prior to cranking the car as it primes the carbs but small price to pay to have eliminated all the starting issues I was having in hot weather and beyond. Best thing I ever did (kind of)

Auto Transport Service
Back