• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Having some issues with my trans Saturday

drodg58

Local time
7:02 PM
Reaction score
So I had my 65 Coronet 500 383 with an automatic out Saturday. When I got to the parking lot where we were going I stopped and the car wouldn't go into reverse. I also noticed that I couldn't put in to park. It feels like it is binding when I try to slide into park and reverse there was nothing. So ended up driving home and didn't really need reverse thank goodness and let the car sit in my garage for about an hour or two and left it in neutral. I went back out after the car cooled off and I tried it again and it slid right into park and of course started and slipped into reverse. So it feels like a cable binding as I try to put it into park and I have had that issue before. The weird thing is the reverse thing. So anyhow any help would be great. This is a real low miles original Coronet too.

Last edited:
2 separate cables. Park only holds the pawl to keep the driveshaft from turning. It is possible to be in any gear and park at the same time. This could be due to a binding or out of adjustment of the shift cable. However the shift cable determines the park/neutral switch function. If the cable wouldn't move , there would be a no crank condition. If it was truly still in park you couldn't have driven it. I'd be looking for a melted shift cable.
Doug

2 separate cables. Park only holds the pawl to keep the driveshaft from turning. It is possible to be in any gear and park at the same time. This could be due to a binding or out of adjustment of the shift cable. However the shift cable determines the park/neutral switch function. If the cable wouldn't move , there would be a no crank condition. If it was truly still in park you couldn't have driven it. I'd be looking for a melted shift cable.
Doug
Thanks Doug. It is weird that this park issue where it feels like it is binding up when trying to put in park seems to happen periodically after I drive down a steep hill and then go to stop. Also when it is binding if I do get the shift lever to the park position it will not restart as a park/neutral switch issue.

How about in neutral? Will it crank? Check the cables at the shifter. If the cable(s) are binding the inner portion of the cable may be bending at the shifter.
Doug

How about in neutral? Will it crank? Check the cables at the shifter. If the cable(s) are binding the inner portion of the cable may be bending at the shifter.
Doug
The car will start in neutral. Thanks!

So I had my 65 Coronet 500 383 with an automatic out Saturday.

Column or console? On both there is a mechanism that transitions the park cable when you shift past reverse, it could be bound up.

You didn't change the safety neutral switch lately? The wrong one will bind on the rooster tail.

Like stated above, look everything over for condition. When everything is in good shape and adjusted correctly they work really well.

Wrong neutral switch will bind a 62-64 push button valve body (white plastic plunger). The steel plunger switch is the correct switch for 62-64. The steel switch may not even contact 65 rooster comb. The manual valve, rooster comb, and switch need to come from the same year (62-64) or (65 by itself). It is possible to grind material from the 64 rooster comb to fit the 65 switch.
Doug

Last edited:
You didn't change the safety neutral switch lately? The wrong one will bind on the rooster tail.

Like stated above, look everything over for condition. When everything is in good shape and adjusted correctly they work really well.
No I think it should be original. I have had the Coronet for three years and owned it in the 90's also. I am going to have my mechanic check it out tomorrow (raining today) thanks everyone.

Dave what did you find out on the shifting issue?

Auto Transport Service
Back