• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

REBUILT 727 HARSH SHIFT INTO REVERSE ONLY

Exactly, plow truck. Run forward and whip them into reverse. Many times still rolling.
Doug
Answer me this. Why did mopar have updates/tech bulletins in the 90s and possibly the 2000s to add more clearance to the front drum and add a wave snap ring to soften the reverse application?

Last edited:
Never do the reverse slam, Mopars had an issue, when you warrantyitems you find a fix, it happens more after the shift kit and a tighter converter. Putting a Mopar in reverse was known as experiencing a "direct connection" by trans shops around here. Anyway the transgo fix will help.

Ok. I will try a couple things. Thank you. Now....I am not a professional and I don't know half as much as most people on here. I'm just posting the instructions in case someone doesn't have access to them or is just curious. I also notice that the fsm and transgo say 2 1/2 turns out on the bands?

20240321_175633.jpg

20240321_175727.jpg

20240321_175638.jpg

20240321_175643.jpg

20240321_175648.jpg

20240321_175655.jpg

20240321_175707.jpg

20240321_175707.jpg

I have seen broken rear band anchors and a folded over strut that dropped out. This last case was in a pickup truck that ran so crappy, that the owner cranked up the curb idle to keep it running. Pulled it into gear, and Wham!

I have seen broken rear band anchors and a folded over strut that dropped out. This last case was in a pickup truck that ran so crappy, that the owner cranked up the curb idle to keep it running. Pulled it into gear, and Wham!
I've seen the band break, I've seen the front band strut bend... I've seen the rear band anchor come apart... I've never seen the rear band strut bend... It's so short there's not enough leverage to bend it.....

I've seen the band break, I've seen the front band strut bend... I've seen the rear band anchor come apart... I've never seen the rear band strut bend... It's so short there's not enough leverage to bend it.....
Yes there is. I dropped the trans pan, and there it was. I have seen an exploded rear servo piston, with the stamped steel spring retainer deformed and pushed through steel clip, and hanging on the servo lever. This on a car with the kickdown lever tied back. Never say never, people will find a way to break it.

Answer me this. Why did mopar have updates/tech bulletins in the 90s and possibly the 2000s to add more clearance to the front drum and add a wave snap ring to soften the reverse application?
Good question. I'd like to see the bulletin.
Doug

Ok. I will try a couple things. Thank you. Now....I am not a professional and I don't know half as much as most people on here. I'm just posting the instructions in case someone doesn't have access to them or is just curious. I also notice that the fsm and transgo say 2 1/2 turns out on the bands?

View attachment 1632648

View attachment 1632649

View attachment 1632650

View attachment 1632651

View attachment 1632652

View attachment 1632653

View attachment 1632654

View attachment 1632655
Follow their instructions, it also says to remove the restrictor in the front clutch apply if the rpm flares on the 2-3 shift. Follow the instructions and adjust from there.

One cause of clunk is the direct clutch gets the gear train spinning before the reverse band can stop it. There are some people that are smarter than the people that engineered it. With the exception of Gil Younger and Dave Hardin. They reduce clutch clearances,leave out wave plates or waved snap rings,and increase minimum line well past the forgiving 10% or so. You’ll quickly find out how much side gear slop you have in the diff that way. If all else fails,and it’s beginning to get close to that,pull it and put it back right. Reducing rear band clearance stops the gear train before the clutch gets it spinning,it can be a double edged sword. You can get band drag from crossleaks. I love billet servo parts and put a .020 bleed hole in the servo piston to help exhaust any unwanted oil. I also have a flat sanding table to flatten things out.

One cause of clunk is the direct clutch gets the gear train spinning before the reverse band can stop it. There are some people that are smarter than the people that engineered it. With the exception of Gil Younger and Dave Hardin. They reduce clutch clearances,leave out wave plates or waved snap rings,and increase minimum line well past the forgiving 10% or so. You’ll quickly find out how much side gear slop you have in the diff that way. If all else fails,and it’s beginning to get close to that,pull it and put it back right. Reducing rear band clearance stops the gear train before the clutch gets it spinning,it can be a double edged sword. You can get band drag from crossleaks. I love billet servo parts and put a .020 bleed hole in the servo piston to help exhaust any unwanted oil. I also have a flat sanding table to flatten things out.
How can the clutch spin if the input shaft isn't moving?
Doug

And u say u have built trannys for over 40 years OMG. If we have to explain this one too u.

And u say u have built trannys for over 40 years OMG. If we have to explain this one too u. Wow!
Yup, I must admit I don't know what I was thinking. In neutral the input shaft would definately be spinning.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back