• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawk-Rod: The Restoration

i did not read every post here but can you post the part number for the low mount a/c bracket or where might it be posted on hear . thanks.

Hi,

Sorry for the slow reply - I was traveling in Europe for work and just got back last yesterday...

Here is the link for the brackets. They are, as CoronetDarter stated, from Bouchillon.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/hawk-rod-the-restoration.65096/#post-910005909

The system woks, but like anything in life, there are trade-offs. Good is it hides your A/C. Bad is (a) you must ditch your mechanical fuel pump (b) the system really strains the belts to run the A/C, so I need to re-set the belts every year. You will also need to replace belts more frequently.

Hope this helps,

Hawk

So Hawk, did you drive the RR in Europe too?

Rich, I wish I did! I had some left hand drive diesel pieces of crap that I didn't like at all! Maybe that should be a bucket list item to drive it in Europe? Some pictures of the Road Runner with the Alps as a background?

For now, I'll have to settle with a trip next year BOTH ways across this great country - plenty of neat stuff to see here!

Hawk

Hi,

Sorry for the slow reply - I was traveling in Europe for work and just got back last yesterday...

Here is the link for the brackets. They are, as CoronetDarter stated, from Bouchillon.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/hawk-rod-the-restoration.65096/#post-910005909

The system woks, but like anything in life, there are trade-offs. Good is it hides your A/C. Bad is (a) you must ditch your mechanical fuel pump (b) the system really strains the belts to run the A/C, so I need to re-set the belts every year. You will also need to replace belts more frequently.

Hope this helps,

Hawk
thank you for the info and taking the time to respond.

Rich, I wish I did! I had some left hand drive diesel pieces of crap that I didn't like at all! Maybe that should be a bucket list item to drive it in Europe? Some pictures of the Road Runner with the Alps as a background?

For now, I'll have to settle with a trip next year BOTH ways across this great country - plenty of neat stuff to see here!

Hawk
Think you'll make it to CA again?

Hats off Hawk, that is a really successful restoration project and very informative thread as well. You built an absolutely gorgeous car. I hope I can see it one time in real. Looking forward to meeting you.
Cheers from Ohio,
Wolfgang

Hats off Hawk, that is a really successful restoration project and very informative thread as well. You built an absolutely gorgeous car. I hope I can see it one time in real. Looking forward to meeting you.
Cheers from Ohio,
Wolfgang

Thank you Wolfgang! It was a fun project and now I want to turn some attention to cleaning up a few minor items in preparation for next year, as well as work on the 73 Road Runner. Maybe we can meet up in Carlisle next year!

Hawk

Wow! What a great source of information this thread was! Will definately come back here during my build.

The whole system was around $1650, but I added some bells and whistles to my system. I started with their "perfect fit elite" system, which is specifically tailored to the car. I then added a hidden AC bracket that added some cost (I forget maybe $60 or $80). I also added their controls replacement (I think it is called DER for Direct Electronic Replacement). This control completely replaces the original heater controls, so if yours are beat up it is a good choice. I forget the adder for that too, maybe $100 or so.

Finally, yes, the new smaller heater box does completely replace the original one. That was another good point for me, because my car sat for many years and mice had made the heater box their home. It was filled with fuzz, had gotten wet, and in turn rusted some of the control doors that divert air. It also smells really strongly of mice pi$$ so now I don't need to spend any time restoring it. I cleaned it out a bit, but now I will just store it in case I ever want to return the car to stock.

Hope this helps...

Hawk
do you know the part number or spcific nme of that hidden or low mount bracket? Was it hard to install? I am putting Vintage Air in my 440 6 pack and would really like the low mount, out of the way

do you know the part number or spcific nme of that hidden or low mount bracket? Was it hard to install? I am putting Vintage Air in my 440 6 pack and would really like the low mount, out of the way

Thanks Derwud, yes, this is the bracket I used.
I have had this on my car for 5 years now. Please note a couple of key things with this:
  1. You cannot use a mechanical fuel pump since the compressor sits where the fuel pump would normally sit.
  2. The system uses one belt to drive the A/C, and one belt off the A/C to drive the alternator. When you use the A/C, it puts a lot of strain on the electrical system also, so that first belt ultimately is driving both the A/C and the alternator. Getting the belt to sit well, sit flush and drive the compressor without squealing is not easy. You really have to work to carefully and tighten up that belt A LOT. It is a finicky system, but I still love it because it hides the compressor so my Air Grabber looks stock.
Best of luck!

Hawk

I just read through this whole thread and I'm very impressed with your build! There is a lot of useful information that I am going to refer to as I do upgrades to My GTX. I hope to see you at one of our cruises again next spring. (Burnt Orange 70 GTX guy from Mopar Madness cruise in Allentown) Mike

Thanks for the note Mike, and I am glad my thread was useful! I have gotten so much useful information from FBBO, so I tried to document my build so others could learn from it. Keep in touch and I'll be happy to connect again on another cruise or even a car project!

Hawk

Auto Transport Service
Back