• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawkrod 'RoadKill' Cross Country Trip 2022

I love the ones with Yosemite in the background...
epic scenery, a few ridges over to the southeast

73 Roadrunner Roadkill Hawkrod trip.jpg

Hawk and his wife Cathy carved some time out of their schedule to stop by. That 416 has got some low-end grunt! Has me wanting a SB stroker for the Dart.
Great seeing you again and meeting Cathy.

IMG_20220604_153807.jpg

IMG_20220604_153832.jpg

Hawk and his wife Cathy carved some time out of their schedule to stop by. That 416 has got some low-end grunt! Has me wanting a SB stroker for the Dart.
Great seeing you again and meeting Cathy.

View attachment 1294257

View attachment 1294258
Seeing you and your wife is always a pleasure! Thanks for the visit!

To back up a bit since I haven't been able to post for a couple of days:
Late on June 2nd, my wife flew in to San Francisco. Barry and I hung out around Half Moon Bay simply watching the Pacific. Lots of pelicans flew by, and we tried to take a couple of artsy pictures of the car.
20220602_165209.jpg

20220602_162354.jpg

20220602_162442.jpg

Then yesterday Barry headed back to Philadelphia to attend a wedding. Cathy and I headed to Lake Tahoe to spend some time with friends.
We attended a nice brewery and food place where a band was playing. I got a kick out of the urinal!
20220603_202730.jpg

And today we visited @CoronetDarter and his wife before we somewhat randomly stopped in Chico, CA. Tomorrow we will continue to head North towards Oregon.

This has been a great story so far. Most of us will never take the time to make a trip like this, let alone share it with the members here. Thank you for taking the time to do all of this.
On another note....
Randy, aka 1WildR/T has been a great asset to the hobby. He personally emailed and PM'd me many times over the years when he read one of my comments and saw me go astray or have a technical problem. He is the kind of guy that doesn't brag or boast about himself but sure could if he wanted.
CoronetDarter Rich is another great guy. He and his wife are a great couple that add a lot of fun to the car events when we have seen them.

Seeing you and your wife is always a pleasure! Thanks for the visit!

To back up a bit since I haven't been able to post for a couple of days:
Late on June 2nd, my wife flew in to San Francisco. Barry and I hung out around Half Moon Bay simply watching the Pacific. Lots of pelicans flew by, and we tried to take a couple of artsy pictures of the car.
View attachment 1294419

View attachment 1294417

View attachment 1294418

Then yesterday Barry headed back to Philadelphia to attend a wedding. Cathy and I headed to Lake Tahoe to spend some time with friends.
We attended a nice brewery and food place where a band was playing. I got a kick out of the urinal!
View attachment 1294420

And today we visited @CoronetDarter and his wife before we somewhat randomly stopped in Chico, CA. Tomorrow we will continue to head North towards Oregon.
Note the usual amount of floor urine below.
Amazing how guys are so inaccurate.

Ahhh...I was wondering if I missed something when all of a sudden there was talk of your wife. Glad to see she wasn't just stowed away in the trunk all this time! :lol:

Randy, aka 1WildR/T has been a great asset to the hobby. He personally emailed and PM'd me many times over the years when he read one of my comments and saw me go astray or have a technical problem. He is the kind of guy that doesn't brag or boast about himself but sure could if he wanted.
CoronetDarter Rich is another great guy. He and his wife are a great couple that add a lot of fun to the car events when we have seen them.
Kern, I couldn't agree with you more. Both great assets to the hobby and people I now consider good friends.

Note the usual amount of floor urine below.
Amazing how guys are so inaccurate.
Especially after a few beers!

Ahhh...I was wondering if I missed something when all of a sudden there was talk of your wife. Glad to see she wasn't just stowed away in the trunk all this time! :lol:
Haha. I don't think she would be smiling if she had been stowed in the trunk all this time!

Today will mostly be a driving day - we will drive and head up towards Bend, OR.

Thanks all for following along!

Just remember that Bend OR. is ALL Transplants from California... Nuts and Fruits of the worst variety

Oregon police have on board radar, I have $117 reasons to remember. The only ticket I ever got on vacation. Cheapest speeding I ever got.

Kern, I couldn't agree with you more. Both great assets to the hobby and people I now consider good friends.

Especially after a few beers!

Haha. I don't think she would be smiling if she had been stowed in the trunk all this time!

Today will mostly be a driving day - we will drive and head up towards Bend, OR.

Thanks all for following along!
Don’t forget to stop in Weed

Oregon police have on board radar, I have $117 reasons to remember. The only ticket I ever got on vacation. Cheapest speeding I ever got.
Well that sucks. How fast were you going? Be careful when and if you crack the border to OH! State Troopers are our third cash crop to corn and beans. Lol. I hate it.

Think it was 71 on a two lane road rolling down hill. No houses or anything, but a mile up the road out shirts of a town. Knew he was coming for me a brake lights came on when he passed. Almost told the cop in Ct this would be a $200+ ticket. For once I kept my yap shut.

Last edited:
My friend took his 73 Dart,left Rhode Island and drove to Chicago, picked up old route 66 all the way,then drove to LA,then up to Minneapolis Minnesota to visit his brother then back to Rhode Island 8800 mile round trip. It was some adventure!

Don’t forget to stop in Weed
We did stop in weed. The only thing we bought was gasoline!

My friend took his 73 Dart,left Rhode Island and drove to Chicago, picked up old route 66 all the way,then drove to LA,then up to Minneapolis Minnesota to visit his brother then back to Rhode Island 8800 mile round trip. It was some adventure!
Taking an old car like this is truly an adventure. I'm sure I would have had fewer problems if I had time to get a few miles on the car and work out the bugs before I left. They really are quite reliable once you get them 'sorted'.

Here are a few shots as we made out way up towards Bend. Oregon is also beautiful country!

But first, a parting shot from Lake Tahoe - Emerald Bay
IMG_1458.jpg

Here are a couple from our drive up towards Bend
20220605_133957.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

We did stop in weed. The only thing we bought was gasoline!

Taking an old car like this is truly an adventure. I'm sure I would have had fewer problems if I had time to get a few miles on the car and work out the bugs before I left. They really are quite reliable once you get them 'sorted'.

Here are a few shots as we made out way up towards Bend. Oregon is also beautiful country!

But first, a parting shot from Lake Tahoe - Emerald Bay
View attachment 1295006

Here are a couple from our drive up towards Bend
View attachment 1295005

View attachment 1295007

View attachment 1295008
You know, these were new cars once, too. All through my childhood we were in 50s and 60s cars driving from Cincy to Ft Lauderdale and back, points ignition, carb, bias ply tires, 80 mph speed limit, no overdrive, and we made it every time, save a flat tire or add oil.
I think your journey is a testament to your workmanship and the parts you bought. Your journey has given me the urge to follow rt 66 from Chitown out to cali in one of my old cars.
I remember my mom getting her new 60 or 65 Olds and taking us out on the highway to see what all colors the speedo would change to, it had a stripe that changed as you went faster to show how fast you were going. I think we ended up just over 100 mph before she lost her nerve. She told my sister, brother and I, don't tell your father. Lol

I felt this next post deserved to be on its own. We visited the Veterans Memorial Sculpture Garden. It is not specific to any war; it includes all and excludes none. There were some powerful sculptures there. I think what made it more powerful to me was that it is on a wind swept ridge. In addition, we were the only ones there for half the time.

The entry:
20220605_114232.jpg

This one was titled "Why", it shows a person coming to the aid of a fallen comrade. The statue on top is asking why...
20220605_115259.jpg

This is for all POW/ MIA. I'm sure it is patterned after Vietnam, although it is for all POW/ MIA
20220605_115359.jpg

20220605_115436.jpg

20220605_120101.jpg

This one was a Korean War remembrance
20220605_120833.jpg

This one is a WW II remembrance
20220605_121528.jpg

It was a quiet, powerful place.

To all who served or are currently serving: My eternal gratitude and thanks.

You know, these were new cars once, too. All through my childhood we were in 50s and 60s cars driving from Cincy to Ft Lauderdale and back, points ignition, carb, bias ply tires, 80 mph speed limit, no overdrive, and we made it every time, save a flat tire or add oil.
I think your journey is a testament to your workmanship and the parts you bought. Your journey has given me the urge to follow rt 66 from Chitown out to cali in one of my old cars.
I remember my mom getting her new 60 or 65 Olds and taking us out on the highway to see what all colors the speedo would change to, it had a stripe that changed as you went faster to show how fast you were going. I think we ended up just over 100 mph before she lost her nerve. She told my sister, brother and I, don't tell your father. Lol
Thanks - I'm glad my trip is potentially inspiring folks to get in their cars and drive & enjoy them.

Yes, so far, the issues I have had with the car all relate to things that I didn't do (e.g. I replaced the entire braking system except the front calipers and master cylinder. So what went wrong? The front caliper and master cylinder :rolleyes: ).

While I have some issues with the Thermoquad when starting, the engine runs very strong and smooth. Since I threw the Thermoquad on literally just before I left, I'm sure it could use some tuning and adjustments, but it is really not an issue. So far, the transmission that I built is shifting strong and reliably.

I have three issues that I will just have to deal with:
1) I brazed a hole shut in the A/C just before we left and hoped that would work OK. It seemed like it did but a week and a half after the trip the A/C quit working. @1 Wild R/T helped us charge it but unfortunately that charge only lasted one day. So something else blew or failed with the A/C. It will stay non-functional for our trip back and I'll have to truly fix it when I get back.

2) My valve covers leak (Yes, I know not to overtighten them). I think the casting on these covers are just a problem. The leak is making the engine a mess, but is a minor issues really. When I get back I will put on a good old fashioned stamped set to stop the leaks.

3) I have a slight transmission leak. I think it might be the dipstick tube. Again, nothing major, I'll just keep my eye on it.

So that's the car update. I now have about 5,500 miles on it for the trip so far, and I expect another 5,000-6,000 miles before I get back. Hopefully any major issues are behind me! :praying:

Auto Transport Service
Back