• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawkrod 'RoadKill' Cross Country Trip 2022

IMO, this is your cover image for your photo book.

dsc_0658-jpg.jpg

Fantastic scenery is everywhere and it looks like you are having fun and the car seems to be holding up quite well. Keep posting pictures please because you know how it works and this forum lives for pictures.

We spent yesterday in Glacier National Park. Glacier is a tale of two parks: The West side is the busiest and you need a reservation to get in and the East side is the part of the park that is seldom visited - no reservations needed. Yesterday, Glacier wasn't even fully open since the one main road is still snowed in and not fully open. We tried to get in to the West side first, but we did not have a reservation and none were available. It was raining so we decided to drive around to the West Side. It took about 2 hours to get there, but wow! The weather was good over there and there was some awesome stuff to see.
On the way in we caught a rainbow...
View attachment 1297516

View attachment 1297517

View attachment 1297515

View attachment 1297518

View attachment 1297519

View attachment 1297520

View attachment 1297514

Later, we did get in to the West side (it was after 4PM and no reservations are required then). But we ran out of time (and were low on gas) so we didn't have a chance to explore too deep into the park from the West.
View attachment 1297524

Another great National Park that I'll be glad to visit again!
Hi Hawk,
As awesome as your adventure has been so far, what I find even more so is your willingness to devote so much valuable time to share the wonderful experience with all of us. It seems like forever to me now but I have been to the left coast and visited some of the same places you are visiting. I am flooded with heartfelt memories of a similar excursion with a couple of buds made when we were in our late teens/very early 20s. (Flew to Cali and road tripped in a rental car, admittedly way UNCOOLER than your trip!)
Godspeed sir, on the rest of your adventure!
PS. What year/make are those vehicles in the last picture of this post (#379)? They look like visitor transports or mini tour busses, did you take notice? Pretty neat.

I recommend Devils tower... Took a trip from Eugene OR to Rapid City SD years ago and Devils tower was the most memorable thing I remember.... Like alot of things, seeing it in person is so much more impressive than in pictures...

PS. What year/make are those vehicles in the last picture of this post (#379)? They look like visitor transports or mini tour busses, did you take notice? Pretty neat.
They are old Ford busses, I think from the 30s, but I don't know specifics. They were/are iconic and were the oldest in service units in any park. A number of years ago, the park service could no longer maintain them. Ford stepped in and rebuilt them with modern chassis and the old bodies. They are really cool!

Hawk, you keep changing my mind for "favorite cover shot" with these pics, my friend!
These two now in the running (and they both have room for book titles and such!):
20220610_111002.jpg
20220611_084925.jpg
You certainly have "the eye", sir. :)

I don't know your route but 212 east out of Yellowstone thru the beartooths is worth the trip. It is also the least used side of the park.

I don't know your route but 212 east out of Yellowstone thru the beartooths is worth the trip. It is also the least used side of the park.
Thanks. That might work.

We changed plans and are headed to Deer Lodge, MT for a cool car museum and old prison. Rainy weather is predicted for today so we will do Yellowstone tomorrow and pop out the East side and head towards Devil's Tower. Only difficulty is we will probably exit the park around dinnertime, and will then need to find an appropriate place to sleep before it gets too late. We've stayed at a lot of pricey motels lately, so we have had a high burn rate for money. Hopefully the weather will improve so we can camp.

I would plan 2 days minimum in yellowstone. I have never had issues finding a campsite, sometimes you can't get a reservation in the sites near old faithful but I always found a cancellation at the others. Since it is post covid that n ay have changed.

Been to Yellowstone twice with the kids. As mentioned before, spend as much time as you can at the park. If you have time, the Grand Tetons outside of Yellowstone is an awesome park too.

If you leave east out thru Cody we always found sites along that and in the bighorn mountains on 14/16.

They are old Ford busses, I think from the 30s, but I don't know specifics. They were/are iconic and were the oldest in service units in any park. A number of years ago, the park service could no longer maintain them. Ford stepped in and rebuilt them with modern chassis and the old bodies. They are really cool!
Yeah, from what I remember they put the bodies on a Ford frame/platform. I also think they run on Propane as well from what I recall.

In Yellowstone if you see cars stopped there watching bears most likely. Nice to follow your trip.:thumbsup:

Yesterday we headed to Deer Lodge since the weather was bad. They have an old prison museum as well as a classic car museum. Nice day!
20220612_131949.jpg

20220612_125837.jpg

20220612_125832.jpg

Some nice Mopars in the car museum. Here are a couple pictures, starting with a 32 Plymouth I really liked.
20220612_105244.jpg

20220612_115014.jpg

20220612_115058.jpg

...and my personal favorite...
20220612_115429.jpg

If you are in the area, this place is worth visiting!

Auto Transport Service
Back