• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawkrod 'RoadKill' Cross Country Trip 2022

When my older son graduated from College we took a trip up the west coast from LA to Spokane taking more of an inland route through California and towards Oregon.
I highly recommend the Sequoia National forest, Yellowstone ( at least 3 days there), Lassen Volcanic Park and Crater Lake.
le17QNfDIInYuGQb8h0etSuPsPglabhT9aPorhXHgn9pWvdRQh57svQAA9FOPsYIGo-2NLbw=w714-h950-no?authuser=0.jpg

zD-r1rKiI3hYdfW9N1H1gRMHitB87nIFSjrfWqt6pMVZSvtfsDlAVqJJNKYsIrtPNhUjU-Mw=w714-h950-no?authuser=0.jpg

tWtziNaru09l56HtDLbBBnUGbuA9mRFAOxY2da_gyTs_8ASAmMzrml7vVPEQ3Lx5aVqgMh7s=w714-h950-no?authuser=0.jpg

uc3eJ8PMmKfsw5M5bRjmHVi7-BXUBYTo26qqjLyAA5iWwpGuay42qLGHKqrI5h5g8ERqF78I=w714-h950-no?authuser=0.jpg

-YAgApWGz7CD42I6UJSOAdaFq60-u3deDYphkl_UhASit1kzd8HhmQY9iZQXkcL-nlqh0KU=w1268-h950-no?authuser=0.jpg

...we took a trip up the west coast from LA to Spokane taking more of an inland route through California and towards Oregon.
I highly recommend the Sequoia National forest, Yellowstone ( at least 3 days there), Lassen Volcanic Park and Crater Lake.
Agree Sequoia and Crater Lake are beautiful.
Thank you both - I will add these to a list I have compiled and that I keep adding to.

There are so many great destinations in the USA, so I am happy to take whatever recommendations folks care to make. If we can't get to them all, then those can be reserved for my next trip!!!

Thank you both - I will add these to a list I have compiled and that I keep adding to.

There are so many great destinations in the USA, so I am happy to take whatever recommendations folks care to make. If we can't get to them all, then those can be reserved for my next trip!!!
Columbia River Gorge- Washington State along with Mount St. Helens and if you can get still get tickets for Montana-Glacier National Park or Yellowstone. In North Dakota- Theodore National Park.

When my older son graduated from College we took a trip up the west coast from LA to Spokane taking more of an inland route through California and towards Oregon.
I highly recommend the Sequoia National forest, Yellowstone ( at least 3 days there), Lassen Volcanic Park and Crater Lake.View attachment 1264696
View attachment 1264697
View attachment 1264698

View attachment 1264699
View attachment 1264700

Different now but, Crater Lake and Mount St. Helens in 2006 (was active at that time; notice the plume).

100_0668.jpg 100_0688.jpg

Last ones driving the PCH (Highway 1) and lost somewhere in "Wine Country" California again in 2006. I bought the Dakota out of North Hollywood. I should have never sold the Dakota. Lots of memories and hopefully, I'll get to do a trip like this again but, things are different so I might to have to reroute some. Probably will do it in the Lil' Red Express eventually unless, I get lucky and purchase a Prowler out of California.

100_0534.jpg 100_0537.jpg 100_0540.jpg 100_0548.jpg

I don't want to hijack your post but, Montana; Glacier National Park in 2006 (Going To The Sun Road).

View attachment 1264724 View attachment 1264725 View attachment 1264726
Not hijacking at all. I am trying to compile a list by state so as we drive we can have some cool destination possibilities. Ultimately, these will be strung together to make a route, but a lot may be decided a day or two before hand. So having a list of recommendations is awesome. Thanks for the input!

...and by the way, I lust after Lil Red Express trucks - I'm digging yours in the scenery! We included my 70 in many shots when we did our trip in 2015.

Pikes Peak
D12_DSC_0107.JPG

Grand Tetons
D18_DSC_0001.JPG

Yosemite
D26_DSC_0171.JPG

Not hijacking at all. I am trying to compile a list by state so as we drive we can have some cool destination possibilities. Ultimately, these will be strung together to make a route, but a lot may be decided a day or two before hand. So having a list of recommendations is awesome. Thanks for the input!

...and by the way, I lust after Lil Red Express trucks - I'm digging yours in the scenery! We included my 70 in many shots when we did our trip in 2015.

Pikes Peak
View attachment 1264732

Grand Tetons
View attachment 1264733

Yosemite
View attachment 1264734

You're welcome and thank you. Another mention would be the Black Hills and the Badlands in South Dakota depending on which route you take. What I did when I drove from Columbus, OH to Bothell, Washington (almost moved there) was I tried to avoid a lot of the interstates. So, what I did was take smaller two lane highways. So, I took Highway 2 from North Dakota all the way to just outside of Spokane. When I drove the PCH I think I took it all the way to Crescent City, California right near the CA/OR border. In the Lil' Red Express I think I got 13 mpg most of the trip. At that time fuel was around $3.xx or so per gallon for 87 octane (stock 8:2:1 compression engine) so I could run it this was in summer/fall 2006. The Dakota averaged 19-21 mpg mostly highway thanks to higher gears and overdrive. I also diverted some and visited the Redwoods National Park.

... What I did when I drove from Columbus, OH to Bothell, Washington (almost moved there) was I tried to avoid a lot of the interstates. So, what I did was take smaller two lane highways.

We did the same. My sister-in-law bought me a good 'ol fashioned paper Rand McNally map book.
20220404_120714.jpg

Turns out, it shows scenic roads with green dots next to them. So we tried to do as many scenic roads as was possible. Sure, we did an occasional super highway, but we avoided them when we could.

We also scribbled a line over the route we took - below is a picture of Colorado. This year we will use a different color pen so both routes will be recorded in the same book!
20220404_120733.jpg

We usually travel State highways, so much more to see in small towns. Southeastern part of South Dakota has a town that the speed limit is posted in Kilometres. Tried to drive the old Route 66 wherever possible.
Grand Coulee Dam has a fantastic show. That shows the history of the river.

Good luck on the road trip in May,
I will follow the thread no doubt...

it will be an adventure

If it works out in terms of your route run up Pikes Peak would be cool in that car.

Looks like a lot of fun. I have driven all over the West multiple times. I read through your other trip in an effort not to repeat anything you have already seen. My suggestions:

If you are not in a hurry in CA/OR, drive up 1 from Frisco to Astoria OR. It's slow, but well worth the time. This leg alone will make the trip. There really is not much to see on 5 in most of CA except miles and miles of orchards (actually pretty eye-opening, ....just repetitive). 5 in northern CA and southern OR is a little more interesting due to the mountains, but nothing compared to Hwy 1.

When you head out of Portland go up the Columbia River Gorge on either of 84 (fast route)or 14 (slow route). If you take 14, the Stonehenge replica in Maryhill WA is a cool lookout and photo op.

Bring no-doze for most of E. WA or OR (except Blue Mtns), and MT, but enjoy the 80mph speed limit when you hit ID. If you are into racing, heading south to Bonneville Salt Flats and checking out Salt Lake City is a more interesting than MT.... but it depends on what else you might want to see. In general, 90 across the top of the US is 99% huge open grasslands. Not much to see from the Rockies all the way to the Dakotas.

I recommend leaving Portland, OR on I84 EB, stop at Multnomah falls (about 1/2hr from Portland) and check that out. Then double back towards Portland and exit at Cascade locks and take the Bridge of the Gods over to the WA side and take Hwy 14 up the WA side. Once in eastern WA, if you have the time, can take Hwy 395 North and then take the Hwy 26 East exit, head to Washtucna and follow the signs to Palouse Falls and check out Palouse Falls State Park. Can then get back on Hwy 26 and continue onto Moscow ID and take Hwy 95 North to Coeur D'Alene where you hit interstate 90 towards Glacier Park and Montana. We have some pretty interesting country in my neck of the woods. The channelled scablands of WA are unique in that the area had flood basalts of lava about 15 million years ago and the Missoula floods of water about 15 thousands years ago. The trip on Hwy 26 to Palouse Falls will show you a good portion of the area, if you are able to take it. By the way, I live in Dayton WA so if you will be coming through town shoot me a message, would like to at least shake your hand and introduce myself. And also if you encounter any problems or need a mopar part I might be able to help. Good luck on your trip!

Have a great time!

I recommend leaving Portland, OR on I84 EB, stop at Multnomah falls (about 1/2hr from Portland) and check that out. Then double back towards Portland and exit at Cascade locks and take the Bridge of the Gods over to the WA side and take Hwy 14 up the WA side. Once in eastern WA, if you have the time, can take Hwy 395 North and then take the Hwy 26 East exit, head to Washtucna and follow the signs to Palouse Falls and check out Palouse Falls State Park. Can then get back on Hwy 26 and continue onto Moscow ID and take Hwy 95 North to Coeur D'Alene where you hit interstate 90 towards Glacier Park and Montana. We have some pretty interesting country in my neck of the woods. The channelled scablands of WA are unique in that the area had flood basalts of lava about 15 million years ago and the Missoula floods of water about 15 thousands years ago. The trip on Hwy 26 to Palouse Falls will show you a good portion of the area, if you are able to take it. By the way, I live in Dayton WA so if you will be coming through town shoot me a message, would like to at least shake your hand and introduce myself. And also if you encounter any problems or need a mopar part I might be able to help. Good luck on your trip!

Have a great time!

If it works out in terms of your route run up Pikes Peak would be cool in that car.
We did Pikes Peak in my 70 Road Runner and it was a lot of fun (see post #31). Cold up top though! So if we are in the area, we will do it again. Hopefully the carb will handle the altitude change!

Have a great time!
Awesome suggestions - thank you! These will definitely go on the list of potentials!

I-76 thru Ohio on your return will put you guys 200yds south of the Summit Racing‘mothership’!!!!! Maybe a few Ohio FBBO’s can show up?

Auto Transport Service
Back