• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawkrod 'RoadKill' Cross Country Trip 2022

We did Pikes Peak in my 70 Road Runner and it was a lot of fun (see post #31). Cold up top though! So if we are in the area, we will do it again. Hopefully the carb will handle the altitude change!

Awesome suggestions - thank you! These will definitely go on the list of potentials!

Hopefully it should handle it fine. I went to the top of Glacier National Park (Going To The Sun Road) with a worn out 360 and Thermoquad.

lilredheavenspeakmt.jpg lilredheavenspeakmt2.jpg lilredheavenspeakmt3.jpg lilredtopofgoingsuntosunroadmt.jpg 197176_1002557780905_8892_n.jpg

This is going to be epic! I’m hoping you’ll keep us all updated along the way!

I-76 thru Ohio on your return will put you guys 200yds south of the Summit Racing‘mothership’!!!!! Maybe a few Ohio FBBO’s can show up?
Thank you - that'll be fun! We are hoping to meet up with FBBO folks as we travel through the country. Only danger will be staying that close to the Summit store. That could get expensive when we will likely already be broke!

Hopefully it should handle it fine. I went to the top of Glacier National Park (Going To The Sun Road) with a worn out 360 and Thermoquad.
Mine is sporting a Thermoquad now as well, so maybe that will bring us through!

This is going to be epic! I’m hoping you’ll keep us all updated along the way!
That's the plan. We will update this post with pictures and stories, attempting to do so every night. The reality will be that there will be many times when we won't have an internet connection, so uploads will need to wait. But they'll be there eventually: the good, the bad and the ugly!

Your trip is going to be great being able to go in whatever direction you choose and seeing this beautiful country. My wife and I are trying to put together a road trip with both cars sometime in the next 2 years or so. I want to go back to the painted mountains and some other places she has not seen in person. We will be here following along with you.
I have been all over the lower 48 driving an 80,000 pound rig so actually stopping and enjoying places was not really an option but I sure enjoyed seeing the country.

Your trip is going to be great being able to go in whatever direction you choose and seeing this beautiful country. My wife and I are trying to put together a road trip with both cars sometime in the next 2 years or so. I want to go back to the painted mountains and some other places she has not seen in person. We will be here following along with you.
I have been all over the lower 48 driving an 80,000 pound rig so actually stopping and enjoying places was not really an option but I sure enjoyed seeing the country.

Agree that there are so many cool things to see in the country. One thing that strikes me is this: Sure, we all know of and/or can look up various national parks and large attractions; they are well known. But there are actually many cool local attractions that you would never know of. You can sometimes find these driving by and seeing a small sign, but most likely by stopping at a gas station or eatery and talking with the locals. This is why driving with the hotrod is cool. It attracts people and after you get to talking with them they can direct you to some really cool stuff!

So I haven't updated this thread for a couple of weeks:

My car is fighting me, but I am still planning for a May 2nd start. If worse comes to worse, we may start a few days late, but we WILL be going.

As we get closer (and of course during the trip), I'll update this thread as we go along.

THIS is what I have to get fixed in about a week:
20220422_095159.jpg

Last edited:
May 2nd maybe?
Month out buddy.....good luck with the trip Hawk.....I'll be watching every step along the way. :thumbsup:
Oops. Of course MAY 2nd. (I edited and fixed my post above.)
Shows how messed up I am - my head is thinking about so many things I can't even get the date right! :screwy:

Besides the obvious car repairs, I also need to get a good packing list, make sure it fits in the car, arrange lawn service for cutting the grass at home, think about how to address other important chores, etc. :blah:

I'm cutting this one close for sure...

Shows how messed up I am - my head is thinking about so many things I can't even get the date right! :screwy:

Besides the obvious car repairs, I also need to get a good packing list, make sure it fits in the car, arrange lawn service for cutting the grass at home, think about how to address other important chores, etc. :blah:

A yeoman effort for sure!
By comparison, I just loaded up Fred for the Cancer benefit show down in Newport - our first outing of
the year - and it took me a half hour just to get things organized. :lol:
#gettingoldblowsdeadbear

Going to trail along also hawk.
Hats off to you !

Stress takes the fun out of it, relax, get what you need done and hit the road. If your departure is delayed several days, so what. Life is too short to have those worries. When you hit the road, have fun.

Stress takes the fun out of it, relax, get what you need done and hit the road. If your departure is delayed several days, so what. Life is too short to have those worries. When you hit the road, have fun.
Thanks, and you are absolutely right. However, there are 4 total people's schedules tied in to this, but a few days delay won't change anything major. I'll plug along and hopefully get done in time. If not, then you all will just have to wait a couple of days for pictures to start rolling in!!!

Thanks, and you are absolutely right. However, there are 4 total people's schedules tied in to this, but a few days delay won't change anything major. I'll plug along and hopefully get done in time. If not, then you all will just have to wait a couple of days for pictures to start rolling in!!![/QUOTE

don’t worry about us, just have a fun time

It's going to be serious fun - even for us armchair observers. :thumbsup:

I enjoyed Hwy 28 in Wyoming over SouthPass.. This is the "Pass" the mountain men discovered through the Rocky Mountains and was a main road on the Oregon trail... Very remote .. All along the way you can see the Lesser known marked sites of the Oregon trail.
I have been north and south of it, but the Guernsey Ruts in eastern Wyoming are on my bucket list... Solid rock carved down by the wagon wheels...
Out of Cheyenne, Wy are remnants of the original Trans Continental rail way... No longer used roads built and a large railway trestle.. amazing what was accomplished.
The black hills area is very touristy, in my opinion... TOO CROWDED
So much to see in the USA.........

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back