• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawkrod 'RoadKill' Cross Country Trip 2022

Here are some more shots of Arches National Park.

I know - ANOTHER one with the car in it - this is a car forum after all!

Hawk,
I will take any and all of your "CAR Shots" as they are pretty darn good.

But, I would prefer a WHISKEY shot, when we meet again in person.

Joy to follow along with you and yours. Stay safe my Friend!

Yeah, with gas prices the way they are, this is cheap entertainment! I get to see all of the
scenery and no bills! We'll follow you anywhere Hawk.

^^^^Us old farts that drive for more than 2 hours HURT!!!!!
This is a great thread. These guys wear out their car burn their gas, spend their $ for a motel room somedays, pay for their food.. and we get to see the trip for free!!!!
Great ride along!!

I don't have much time but did hook up to some WIFI at a restaurant. So here are some more picture dumps.

Canyonlands National Park:
20220520_100535.jpg

20220520_100741.jpg

20220520_103859.jpg

More driving in dirt and sand. Our campground for the night.
20220520_192513.jpg

Today we did Natural Bridges National Monument.
20220521_075028.jpg

Check out the Native American ruins...
20220521_084219.jpg

20220521_095829.jpg

20220521_120449.jpg

What an amazing country!!!

Hope you all are enjoying the ride - we are!

One more thing: Warning, science stuff here!!!

The arches in Arches National Park are formed by wind and frost erosion, so they are called arches.

The bridges in Natural Bridges National Monument are formed by water winding in tight turns that eventually break through the rock.

So arches and bridges may look the same, but are formed by different forces.

See, I learned something on this trip too!!!

I learned the differences between canyons and gorges.

In terms of the proportions of the two, a canyon is considered larger than a gorge. They are both deep valleys, but a canyon is often wider compared to a gorge. The term gorge is at times used to describe ravines which are narrower than canyons. Canyons are mainly localized to the arid areas while gorges can be found in temperate areas like between mountain ranges. While water or lava flow is implicated in the formation of gorges, erosion from a plateau level coupled with resistance of hard rocks to weathering is the manner in which canyons are formed.

Not much shade at your new campground! Hope you have a tent. I slept one
night in the trunk of my GTX. I know, your trunk is full!

One more thing: Warning, science stuff here!!!

The arches in Arches National Park are formed by wind and frost erosion, so they are called arches.

The bridges in Natural Bridges National Monument are formed by water winding in tight turns that eventually break through the rock.

So arches and bridges may look the same, but are formed by different forces.

See, I learned something on this trip too!!!

Is there going to be a test on this later on ???? Not sure if I will be able to remember all this scientific stuff so can I refer back to this thread for the correct answers????
:lol: :lol: :luvplace: :thankyou: :thankyou: :rofl:

I was hoping you were coming through our part of Colorado but I'm glad you missed our blizzard. Ha!

Yeah it seems to be baking or snowing right now all over the country! Hawk flipped the quarter
and made the right choice. I'll bet he doesn't have any chains with him?

So just a quick note as I only have my cell phone and limited time.

Last night we broke down again outside Boulder, UT (NOT Colorado!). As before, no spark. I could not get it to run. So below is a picture that is not our finest moment, but what can you do?!?
20220522_194032.jpg

I now believe our previous no spark failure was the coil. I had an old performance coil in the car that could handle full voltage. So I had wired the ballast resistor to bypass the resistor and provide full voltage to the coil. When we swapped in the other coil a few days ago, I put a standard coil in. The car fired (with new ignition module too), and off we went.

I believe last night we burned out my other coil due to it getting full voltage. This morning we bought another coil and the car fired right up. I have put the ballast resistor back in the circuit now. We need reliability and not performance!

Yesterday we also hiked Capitol Reef park. Also a great park with some nice views.
20220522_080156.jpg

20220522_083202.jpg

20220522_094303.jpg

20220522_120425.jpg

Now we lost a day, so we will recalculate our journey. We may cut out the Grand Canyon since we have been there, but we will discuss that over breakfast which is next!

Dang! Yeah, nice color match on that carrier! You don't need any more of those. As simple as
a resistor delete! I'll remember that! I'm learning alot from your posts!

Dang! Yeah, nice color match on that carrier! You don't need any more of those. As simple as
a resistor delete! I'll remember that! I'm learning alot from your posts!
Yup. Delete resistor with a high voltage capable coil. Keep it with a service replacement.

Tonight we are camping at Bryce Canyon. I have limited service so uploading pictures takes a long time.
Here is a shot of our camp tonight.
20220523_154710.jpg

Earlier, we went to the Petrified Forest State park. Amazing to see trees that are stone and millions of years old!
20220523_131102.jpg

I'll try to post more pictures tomorrow. We will have a cold night camping tonight - supposed to be a low of 28 degrees. Brrrr!
But, we will take a night hike and do some star gazing. Hopefully will be neat to see; Bryce is one of the premier spots in the world to star gaze...

Auto Transport Service
Back