• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawkrod 'RoadKill' Cross Country Trip 2022

Today we tried to get into Yellowstone via route 89. We drove half way there from Bozeman and were stopped. There had just been a landslide and there were several feet of water supposedly flowing over the road. We had no choice but to turn around. Rivers are flooding all around. The pictures below are just off 89 before the closure.
20220613_070737.jpg

20220613_070749.jpg

We drove back through some muddy slop! The car is DIRTY!!!
20220613_074046.jpg

We have been to Yellowstone before, so we are going to skip it this time and instead head to Devil's Tower, checking out Little Big Horn on the way.

Today we tried to get into Yellowstone via route 89. We drove half way there from Bozeman and were stopped. There had just been a landslide and there were several feet of water supposedly flowing over the road. We had no choice but to turn around. Rivers are flooding all around. The pictures below are just off 89 before the closure.
View attachment 1298292

View attachment 1298293

We drove back through some muddy slop! The car is DIRTY!!!
View attachment 1298294

We have been to Yellowstone before, so we are going to skip it this time and instead head to Devil's Tower, checking out Little Big Horn on the way.
Glad you got there after they closed the road. That would have been a heck of a shock running into that mess unawares.

Have you been to the Auburn/Cord/ Duesenberg museum in Auburn, Indiana ? A very nice museum and a muscle car museum in back. I wouldn’t recommend any of the accommodations there, though. When I went there in April, it was the worst experience I have ever had.

I really enjoy your forum journal of the trip with the great photos !! I think my favorite non scenic photo is your car reflected in the memorial.

BTW Happy Birthday Hawk !!

Yesterday we headed to Deer Lodge since the weather was bad. They have an old prison museum as well as a classic car museum. Nice day!
View attachment 1298272

View attachment 1298270

View attachment 1298280

Some nice Mopars in the car museum. Here are a couple pictures, starting with a 32 Plymouth I really liked.
View attachment 1298274

View attachment 1298275

View attachment 1298276

...and my personal favorite...
View attachment 1298277

If you are in the area, this place is worth visiting!
Very cool!
Did you tell them if they took the springs off the hood hinges of that AAR, the hood would stop bowing like that? :)

They are old Ford busses, I think from the 30s, but I don't know specifics. They were/are iconic and were the oldest in service units in any park. A number of years ago, the park service could no longer maintain them. Ford stepped in and rebuilt them with modern chassis and the old bodies. They are really cool!
there was one Yellowstone visitors tour bus, looked just like them
I think it was org. drivetrain etc., just restored
that sold for huge $$$ on BJ or Mecum, like $1.5 million+ fees
in Jan. IIRC

carry on & thanks for all the posts/details & photos

Turns out ALL entrances to Yellowstone are closed due to "unprecedented rainfall and flooding".
Guess we made a good choice to pass it by!

Ya, just got a warning from a friend that works at old faithful store, she says stay away bad there.

I'm seeing reports that the rainfall is "unprecedented" and that closures are expected for most of the season now...

As I mentioned above, we passed by Yellowstone due to the flooding. Luckily we have been there before because Yellowstone is an awesome park.
Instead, we stopped first at Little Bighorn Park, where Custer had his last stand. It was a nice park, with some great history and information if you want to spend the time to read it (I did).
The marker with black is were Custer fell...
20220613_115844.jpg

20220613_120148.jpg

We also washed the car (vey quickly) to get off some of the caked on grime. It was looking TERRIBLE!
20220613_095444.jpg

Next post will cover a car museum we stopped at in Gillette, WY.

Wow. We dodged a bullet there as well! We drove through Maria pass a couple of times to get between West and East Glacier national park!
Yes. But, at least you got to enjoy it (I hope) and sorry about Yellowstone. I can't remember what month I was there but, only parts of the park were open. I believe it might have been late April or early May. Anyways, thank you sharing the ride again and safe travels.

We stopped in Gillette, WY at a car museum called Frontier Auto Museum. While it didn't have the largest quantity of cars, it had man cave stuff to die for! Here are a couple of pictures (my WIFI is VERY slow).
20220613_154031.jpg

20220613_154841.jpg

20220613_155756.jpg

20220613_160801.jpg

20220613_162944.jpg

A very cool place to visit!

Tonight we are in Pine Haven, WY, very close to Devil's tower. Tomorrow we will check that out.

Oh, forgot to mention since you are in that part of the country getting closer to SD/ND. You got to get yourself a Sinclair Dinosaur for the rest of the ride along.

As I mentioned above, we passed by Yellowstone due to the flooding. Luckily we have been there before because Yellowstone is an awesome park.
Instead, we stopped first at Little Bighorn Park, where Custer had his last stand. It was a nice park, with some great history and information if you want to spend the time to read it (I did).
The marker with black is were Custer fell...
View attachment 1298598

View attachment 1298599

We also washed the car (vey quickly) to get off some of the caked on grime. It was looking TERRIBLE!
View attachment 1298597

Next post will cover a car museum we stopped at in Gillette, WY.
Awesome you got to check that out!! Pretty nice museum. Stop in Custer city lol. Times were better for him there.

Yesterday we headed to Deer Lodge since the weather was bad. They have an old prison museum as well as a classic car museum. Nice day!
View attachment 1298272

View attachment 1298270

View attachment 1298280

Some nice Mopars in the car museum. Here are a couple pictures, starting with a 32 Plymouth I really liked.
View attachment 1298274

View attachment 1298275

View attachment 1298276

...and my personal favorite...
View attachment 1298277

If you are in the area, this place is worth visiting!

I was there on Saturday, our race at Lost Creek raceway in Anaconda got rained out. But the weather held for Sunday long enough to get the Sunday race done.

We are in Sturgis right now, but were at Devil's Tower this morning. It started out rainy, but cleared up.as the morning progressed.

For now, here are a couple more book cover shots that may be contenders:
20220614_113541(0).jpg

20220614_113237.jpg

20220614_081148.jpg

And a couple of the tower:
20220614_110504.jpg

20220614_102644.jpg

20220614_093703.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back