• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawkrod 'RoadKill' Cross Country Trip 2022

Are the prairie dogs still there, looking at you as you drive up to the Tower??

Hope you got to hike the trail around the tower, it is much longer than I thought it would be.
My kids still talk about it.

Oh, and don't miss the Corn Palace.
:rofl:

Are the prairie dogs still there, looking at you as you drive up to the Tower??
Tons of them! They're funny, popping up and checking out their surroundings.
Hope you got to hike the trail around the tower, it is much longer than I thought it would be.
My kids still talk about it.

Oh, and don't miss the Corn Palace.
:rofl:
We did both trails, the short (1+ mile) and the long trail (2.8 miles). Both were really nice!

Maybe the rain in the morning hid the corn palace???

The Corn Palace - also known as the world's largest bird feeder.

Later in the day we did Mt. Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monument.
20220614_150538.jpg

20220614_151512.jpg

20220614_154311.jpg

20220614_163622.jpg

I'm afraid to jinx it, but damn the car runs nice. I have been beating it hard, putting it through every challenge you can imagine, and it keeps purring along. I know something could happen tomorrow, but I'm really happy with it so far!

We are in Sturgis right now, but were at Devil's Tower this morning. It started out rainy, but cleared up.as the morning progressed.

For now, here are a couple more book cover shots that may be contenders:
View attachment 1298818

View attachment 1298821

View attachment 1298825

And a couple of the tower:
View attachment 1298826

View attachment 1298827

View attachment 1298828

I seem to get a craving for mashed potatoes when I see pics of the tower :eek:

It's fun riding along with you Hawk :thumbsup:

close encounters ...........
I knew the mashed potatoes reference, but I didn't know what the corn palace was. Now I do.
We just went through the Badlands and will hit Murdo to catch a car museum after lunch.

A couple of badlands pictures:
20220615_104831.jpg

20220615_105631.jpg

20220615_105659.jpg

20220615_110300.jpg

20220615_112819.jpg

My Great Grandparents moved to Kennebec South Dakota about 1868 and had a store there until the 1930’s, but someone in the family still had the store in 1956. My dad‘s cousins still lived in Rapid City in 1981 when we took my parents to visit them. My Grandfather spent some time in Deadwood in the winters, attended the #10 Saloon.
If you are near Mitchell, there are some interesting things to see also.
Great to be following along and remembering some of the places we have also been to.

You had great timing when you were turned away at Yellowstone. "Stranded Tourists"

Good Lord, man - that's damn near "biblical proportion" levels of destructive rains!
Hope folks are surviving that up there.:praying:

You had great timing when you were turned away at Yellowstone. "Stranded Tourists"

I think the road shown in the video is likely the northern road into Yellowstone that we were on (and stopped and forced to turn back).

We were going to go into Yellowstone the day before, but a person who chatted with us the night before talked about the cool car museum and prison in Deer Lodge. On a whim and due to the rain forecasted, we decided to go west 2 hours and check it out. Normally we would never do that.

Had we gone in the day before (Sunday), we would likely be one of the stranded people in the park.

Someone was looking out for us!

I think the road shown in the video is likely the northern road into Yellowstone that we were on (and stopped and forced to turn back).

We were going to go into Yellowstone the day before, but a person who chatted with us the night before talked about the cool car museum and prison in Deer Lodge. On a whim and due to the rain forecasted, we decided to go west 2 hours and check it out. Normally we would never do that.

Had we gone in the day before (Sunday), we would likely be one of the stranded people in the park.

Someone was looking out for us!
Taking a tour of the USA in a vintage muscle car you need someone looking over ya... Not sure, is it "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration" or "Jesus H Chrysler"... Better yet, perhaps it's both...

Have a safe trip guys!!

We have had a couple of days of harder driving to get back East. Along the way, we stopped at a couple of car museums, although the second was really a classic car sales office.
An all wood, twin 500 cubic inch engine, 4 wheel drive roadster. Whe doesn't need that?!?
20220615_154417.jpg

6 BBL Bird
20220615_155506.jpg

20220615_155559.jpg

20220615_164420.jpg

20220615_164436.jpg

Sunset at our campground
20220615_213230.jpg

68 Hemi Road Runner. Only $104,000!
20220616_151421.jpg

A non Hemi, worth very little, but I'll include it (by the Mississippi)
20220617_074822.jpg

Today we are blasting towards Milwaukee and the Harley Davidson museum.

We have had a couple of days of harder driving to get back East. Along the way, we stopped at a couple of car museums, although the second was really a classic car sales office.
An all wood, twin 500 cubic inch engine, 4 wheel drive roadster. Whe doesn't need that?!?
View attachment 1300125

I was at a Goodguys car show years ago when that car or it's twin came driving by..... I yelled at the guy driving it that I'd just seen a swarm of termites & he might want to go the other way....

Did you like the Pioneer Auto Museum in Murdo? I passed it a hundred times and never went in. I thought it was just another tourist trap. Finally went in one day. It was worth the admission price. For those who have never been, it's a Chickenwire Museum with a lot of cars. It was the one where the Pickers bought that tanker car with the Indian motor. A chicken wire museum has stores, school rooms, general store, all stocked and all behind chicken wire.

If you stay in Milwaukee, I recommend Mader's German Restaurant downtown and the small Sprecher Brewery Tour. They have the best Root Beer soda ever!

RGAZ

Did you like the Pioneer Auto Museum in Murdo? I passed it a hundred times and never went in. I thought it was just another tourist trap. Finally went in one day. It was worth the admission price. For those who have never been, it's a Chickenwire Museum with a lot of cars. It was the one where the Pickers bought that tanker car with the Indian motor. A chicken wire museum has stores, school rooms, general store, all stocked and all behind chicken wire.
We enjoyed it. It has an eclectic mix of collectables, not just cars. And some cars are high dollar cars like the Superbird, a Shelby 428 Mustang, 69 Mustang Cobra Jet, and several others. Other cars, like a rusted out AMC Pacer are pretty much junk cars. But all of it was fun to see.
If you stay in Milwaukee, I recommend Mader's German Restaurant downtown and the small Sprecher Brewery Tour. They have the best Root Beer soda ever!

RGAZ
Thanks for the tip, but we just visited the Harley Davidson museum and then headed south. We met up with @zyzzyx and had a nice dinner with him. We got to check out his 68 GTX, which is super nice - just not quite done.

In 2015, @MarPar came up with some lame excuse not to see us when I did the trip in my 70 Road Runner. This year, he said something about needing to clean his toilets tonight, so we missed him again. I guess we are chopped liver and not steak... (hee hee :rofl: )
Seriously: Sorry we missed you Mario. Maybe on our next trip!

Today we checked out the Harley Davidson museum. There are some super motorcycles there. Here are a few examples:
20220617_141630.jpg

20220617_141804.jpg

20220617_142235.jpg

This was a prototype opposed cylinder motorcycle built for WW2 in the desert. They scrapped building more since the standard bikes worked fine.
20220617_145210.jpg

Here is the standard version
20220617_145229.jpg

20220617_145413.jpg

Built for breaking the land speed record on the beaches of Daytona
20220617_145745.jpg

The museum had lots of nice presentations and really explained the history really well. It was worth the visit!

Auto Transport Service
Back