• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawk's Cross Country 70 Road Runner Trip

Love the photos, looks like a trip of a lifetime, great memories...

Man that month went by fast... Look forward to meeting you and Barry in a coupla days.

I am so bummed that my schedule plus having to pick up my wife at the airport looks like it will not allow for me to meet you guys.
i would LOVE to come down to Stu's place Thursday but I have Fri morning commitments and I have to be right back down there by 330 Friday.
What is your Friday agenda and when are you flying out from Sacramento? Maybe we can say hi in passing Sat morning or something. I might be able to drive my GTX up to Lincoln Sat morning before you leave if there is time.

I am currently having a couple a beers with Dennis H and his wife - having a great time. The good news is that I finally have some WIFI! Sorry for the wait, but here is a dump of some pictures.

Day 21:

So a great guy named Dan at a diesel mechanic place let us work on the car at his place. He had a 68 Road Runner in his garage so we knew we were in good hands! We adjusted the clutch again (the nut must not be staying in place). Also, my pilot bushing gave up the ghost at around 3500 miles and that was causing the chatter. Nothing to do about that but wait until the car gets back home to fix it. The worst part is Jamie Passon gave me a new one and strongly suggested I replace mine, but with the limited time I had, I decided not to. I guess my luck ran out after 3500 miles...
DSC_0002.jpg

We got the clutch working OK again and then got to Lake Tahoe.
DSC_0037.jpg

We camped again - getting used to it now! There was a couple camping next to us with a VW camper. Cool.
DSC_0049.jpg

We caught a great sunset at Lake Tahoe to finish up the night.
IMG_6065.jpg

Next post: Day 22

- - - Updated - - -

I am so bummed that my schedule plus having to pick up my wife at the airport looks like it will not allow for me to meet you guys.
i would LOVE to come down to Stu's place Thursday but I have Fri morning commitments and I have to be right back down there by 330 Friday.
What is your Friday agenda and when are you flying out from Sacramento? Maybe we can say hi in passing Sat morning or something. I might be able to drive my GTX up to Lincoln Sat morning before you leave if there is time.

Darius,
Can you make it to my house for dinner Friday night? Rich

Darius: Looking forward to meeting you on Friday - thanks to Rich for setting up a chance to meet!

- - - Updated - - -

Day 22:

On our way in to Lee Vining - Here is a shot of Mono Lake. Sorry, some green junk in the way for part of the picture...
DSC_0019.jpg

A shot of the Sierra Mountains.
DSC_0027.jpg

We headed towards Devil's Postpile. This is on the way.
DSC_0034.jpg

Here is a picture of the Devil's Postpile. This is a really cool rock formation - all the columns are five or six sided
DSC_0035.jpg

Here is the top of the "piles". They were polished by glaciers as they receded.
IMG_6094.jpg

Next - Day 23...

- - - Updated - - -

Day 23:

We drove up to a ghost town called Bodie, which is outside of the West side of Yosemite. It was a wild west town that boomed with the gold rush and then was ultimately abandoned. We had to drive over 3 miles on a really rough dirt road to get there, and the car looked like heck afterwards. Here is an artsy type picture of the church.
DSC_0007.jpg

Here is the remains of the town.
IMG_6141.jpg

A couple of shots on the way into Yosemite
DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

Next: Day 24

Day 24 was spent on the upper ridge in Yosemite. Yosemite is an awe inspiring place. Here are a few pictures of the upper part of the park...

IMG_6168.jpg

Lots of wildlife. Here are a couple of mule deer
DSC_0100.jpg

Half dome in the background...
DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

Day 25 was spent down in the valley in Curry Village tents. Not satisfied with that, we hiked up some steep trails and got some more shots of Yosemite.

DSC_0137.jpg

Yosemite is currently quite dry, so there is very little water. In these next couple of shots, Barry is IN the normal flow of the Yosemite falls. Normally, he would have been swept over the edge by the water, but as there is so little water, it was safe to be there.
DSC_0159.jpg

DSC_0161.jpg

Yours truly standing next to the falls.
DSC_0167.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Day 26 we drove out of Yosemite to San Jose. We met Dennis H in the park and drove back to his house together. What a great time! First of all, there were two cool Mopars cruisin' the roads, but blasting past each other and driving the switchbacks was "an enjoyable way to obey the CA driving laws". Finally, Dennis and his wife were gracious enough to go out to dinner with us and let us stay for the evening. Thanks for a great time today Dennis!

Sorry, a badly rotated shot. This is us in the valley as we left.
park.jpg

Then we met Dennis and his wife
DSC_0184.jpg

A shot of the two cars together
DSC_0178.jpg

Dicing it up somewhere East of Modesto on route 120
DSC_0202.jpg

Then time for some tall Mopar stories afterwards...
DSC_0209.jpg

Tomorrow we head for the coast to get a picture of the car with the Pacific ocean. Then in the evening we head up to Stu's place - hope to see folks there if you can make it!

Hawk

Last edited by a moderator:
Such a cool trip Hawk. It's really great to follow your travels across the US. Looking forward to your next posting. Good luck with car issues. Its a Mopar, so its tough :hello2:

Every time I open this thread, I get excited to see the latest pictures and stories... Thanks for posting all this and letting us ride ride along..

Hey there hubby, remember me... your wife :love1:
Ready to come home yet?? The grass needs cutting, the fridge water dispenser not working,...
Oh well, never mind, guess they can wait a little longer:happy7:
Greeeaaaaat new pics - the Ansel Adams has come out in you two!

Great updates Hawk, sounds like your going to have a to do list when you get home.

Ready to come home yet?? The grass needs cutting, the fridge water dispenser not working,...

The only rough part of the trip is being away so long without you. It was fun in Yosemite!

Just a couple more days and then I'll get to the grass, bathroom fixes, fridge fixes, etc. Back to real life!

In the mean time, we have a picture with the Pacific Ocean to take!

Is it just me or does it seem that every thread has at least one post with a picture of Dennis and his car in it? :toothy5:

Hawk - BEWARE!!!

Wives are like angels - always up in the air harping about things.

When you get home, she may treat you like a god and serve you burnt offerings.

Thanks again to Dennis H and his wife. We had a great time last night and are very appreciative of their hospitality! We had a lot of laughs while they treated us to some good beer and wine!

Hope to meet you both again!

Hawk & Barry

- - - Updated - - -

Is it just me or does it seem that every thread has at least one post with a picture of Dennis and his car in it? :toothy5:

He seems to show up everywhere! :grin:

The boys are holding up well. Only 30 miles to the Pacific. image.jpg

Looks like i'm next to meet them!!:hello2:

I am anxious to see these pics!!! Wish I could make it down for this but I did just talk to CoronetDarter (Rich) and I am going to meet the guys at his place Saturday morning before they go to the airport! Great "excuse" to take the GTX on a little cruise!

Yes, Dennis DOES get around. He just loves driving that car!

Auto Transport Service
Back