• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawk's Cross Country 70 Road Runner Trip

Wow, fantastic pics. Jealous. Looks like everyone is having a great time. Keep the great pics coming and enjoy the rest of the trip and be safe.

So here are a couple of parting shots from yesterday at Yellowstone:

As I stated earlier, there were Bison everywhere. This one was walking through the geysers.
DSC_0012.jpg

Gibbon Falls.
DSC_0053.jpg

One of the larger hot springs. It turns out that the clearer and more blue the water, the hotter it is. This one would scald you to death pretty quickly, even though it looks cool to swim in...
DSC_0079.jpg

On to day 20 (today)

Today we headed into Idaho and drove to check out Craters of the Moon. After that, we headed to Twin Falls. Craters of the Moon park was way cooler than we thought, but on the other hand, Twin Falls and Shoshone Falls were a huge disappointment. Due to water shortages, neither of the falls were running, so we just bypassed them and headed to Arizona. We ended up in Wells, NV.

Here is a shot as we entered Idaho
DSC_0098.jpg

A scenic lookout in Idaho
DSC_0105.jpg

Three shots of Craters of the Moon Park. This place was pretty wild - I never knew a place like this existed.
DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0140.jpg

The clutch has given us some fits since the beginning of the trip. I would love to tear it all out and make it all right, but I obviously can't do that on the road. It has been chattering a bit, but today started doing it worse. It is a bit of a hassle, but overall we are mobile. Stop and go traffic is definitely not good, however...

Tomorrow we will mostly do some hard driving through Northern Nevada, and will likely camp tomorrow night - hopefully near Lake Tahoe Area, although we may not get that far. It may be a couple of days before I can post pictures again if I don't have internet access.

Hope the clutch holds together for you, hate to see this trip get ruined over a mechanical issue. Thanks again for all the updates and pics, this is one beautiful country and a 1970 RR thrown in for good measure makes it that much better! Good luck

Looks fantastic Hawk .. you are doing a great job on the updates when you have web access. I hope the trans and clutch holds up for you!

Man you have made this the BEST thread ever! Unbelievable play by play of your trip and our AWESOME USA! We appreciate so much you answering our questions and giving thanks for everyone's post. Very POLITE Sir!

Thanks for the pics Hawk, looks like the trip is going well and the weather is cooperating too - always a plus. Keep up the good work!

Hi Hawk and Barry, And the Wive's! If you have a chance while you're in Tahoe, try and find the Ponderosa Ranch. It's in incline villiage on the NorthEast corner of the lake. It's still there, but behind a tall chain-Link fence. You can ask the locals when you get close!You're almost there! Great adventure and thanks for bringing us along. Hope the clutch holds out.

Wonderful photos!! I have to say this one of the best threads i have read!! Hope to meet you if possible next week in the Bay Area.

Stu

As expected, we have no WiFi access. We are in S. Lake Tahoe camping tonight. Certainly not remote, but nice and right off the lake. Tomorrow we will head to Mono Lake.

We are also starting to see if we can plan a FBBO mini get together Thursday or Friday night. It will be somewhere in the San Jose or Sacramento area. I'll post details in a day or so and see if we can get a goup together - that would be great! If you are in the area and interested, see if you can reserve the time. More details to follow as I work with a couple of key FBBO members - thanks for following along!

Cheers from Lake Tahoe,

Hawk

We are also starting to see if we can plan a FBBO mini get together Thursday or Friday night. It will be somewhere in the San Jose or Sacramento area. I'll post details in a day or so and see if we can get a goup together - that would be great! If you are in the area and interested, see if you can reserve the time. More details to follow as I work with a couple of key FBBO members - thanks for following along!

Cheers from Lake Tahoe,

Hawk

If you can make it to South San Francisco i am offering up my place for either Thursday night or Friday. I will host the party and have all we need for a fun meet up, as i have done that dozens of times for wandering Mopar folks in the past. I am located just across from SFO so easy off and back on the freeway and no traffic hassles. That is sort of in between San Jose and San Francisco too.

If you can make it to South San Francisco i am offering up my place for either Thursday night or Friday. I will host the party and have all we need for a fun meet up, as i have done that dozens of times for wandering Mopar folks in the past. I am located just across from SFO so easy off and back on the freeway and no traffic hassles. That is sort of in between San Jose and San Francisco too.

Sounds nice! We may very well take you up on that - thanks! Just need to check with a couple of members to finalize plans. If you haven't noticed yet, we are doing this whole trip by the seat of our pants!

Tonight is another night without WIFI; we are in Devils Postpile tonight camping. Some wild formations in the rock from lava flows. Will post pictures when I can.

Thanks,

Hawk

My man! I've enjoyed many of the spots you and your friends have been at. Never documented it like you have for so many people. Never did the trip in a classic mopar. Truly a great adventure and one that you let so many others enjoy vicariously thru you. Thx for the experience...

Ok guys so I spoke with Hawk and we are set for this Thursday (after 5PM) to have the meet up at my place on Ash Avenue in South San Francisco, Ca. I will host the meet and greet and have dinner for all who want to attend. Please RSVP to me via PM and i will get you the exact address.
Thank you
Stu

image.jpg

Thanks for hosting Stu! I hope to meet some folks and maybe share a few pictures too.

Now overlooking Half Dome so I have some phone service. Will likely lose it again. We are gathering up some cool pictures. Sit tight!!!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back