• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head choice

512Charger

Local time
8:54 PM
Reaction score
I have a 512 with a set of eddy rpm heads ported. I'm looking to get a low 10 sec street car that I can drive. The cylinder heads in mind are the victor's ported by Goodwin in Omaro Wi. Or buying the Trickflow 270 and bolting them on. Wood the trickflow heads be enough or the Victor's be to much for the street. A roller cam will be installed at the same time.

Using the max wedge victors on my 505, should run low 10's. Trick flow has a damn good product I might use them on my next build. What do the ported rpm's flow? I have to imagine they're close to the trick flow 270's.

Running Indy EZ Max Wedge ported by Modern. 735hp pump gas, Lunati Voodoo roller.

The eddy's are not ported to that level low 300's and I have the Hughes 256/260 @ 50 I think it's around 590 lift with 1.6 rockers

What does the car run now? You may get there with a cam swap, if you want to change the heads trick flows are very nice but you can only buy them assembled so you'll have to match their recommended cam with it or change out the springs etc to match your cam. Victors you can buy bare in standard port or max wedge ports and build to suit. Both made in USA both good products.

IMO your current set up should run in the mid Ten's, up grade your cam, then Max port your heads, but just as important how's the trans and suspension ? is it stock ??

What's the combo now, compression, converter, gear, car weight, etc. all that stuff really plays into the et. It's a lot easier to run low 10's in a 3000# abody than a 4000# street b body.

It has caltracs and QA-1 front K frame dual adj shocks. 727 with a 4000 stall 4.10 gear, 3900lbs and the compression now is 11.3 will change due to cc of new heads and head gasket thickness.

I'm not impressed with the Edelbrock Max Wedge Victors. They do flow alot (the Hughes ported ones on the car now are around 400 cfm), but are setup for stock valve spring install heights, so it takes alot of effort to get a 2.00" install height spring on the head so you can run a 0.700"+ lift cam. I have also broken the rocker stands on the early version of these heads. I think T&D, and Jesel have paired shaft rocker systems that mount to a plate after milling off the factory stands? I have the regular T&D rocker setup, but milled the stands and using max wedge style "blocks". The heli-coils were replaced with 3/4" long Time-sert inserts and using ARP studs to hold the rocker assembly the the head. The springs are PAC 1326, with a +0.100" retainer and 0.030" thick spring seat locators (originally were standard 0.060", but milled to 0.030" to get the 2.00" install height.) I don'r recall the exact cam specs, I think either 272 or 274 intake, 278 exhaust @ 0.050" Comp HXL lobes 110 LSA, installed at 108? 1.6"1 rocker arms. I think it is about 0.720" lift?

It has caltracs and QA-1 front K frame dual adj shocks. 727 with a 4000 stall 4.10 gear, 3900lbs and the compression now is 11.3 will change due to cc of new heads and head gasket thickness.
II think you can get there without changing heads, but if your set on making a change and want to sell your current ones shoot me a dm I'll take them.

You haven't answered unless I missed it. What does it run now?

I don't see low 10 sec material there, but I suppose anything is possible. I think it'll take more compression, convertor, serious cam, maybe even a bit more gear depending on tire height. Probably a dominator on a good single plane. Or a serious diet. All you have to do is look at some of the mid/low 10 combos on this board in street weight b-body's. Wookie, Mike gains, etc. those are all pretty stout motors. Race gas type engines. Mid-high 10's is realistic IMO.

Last edited:
My car runs low to mid 11's now depending on altitude.

I just want to say thanks for all the replies I think it depends on if I want to spend the money on offset rockers and have the heads ported with the intake. I will pick out a cam as soon as I get the heads purchased.

Auto Transport Service
Back