• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Header Problems

67coronetman

Local time
2:38 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1966 plymouth satellite that had a 383 in it but now has a 440 with indy sr heads the same heads that where on the 383. The problem is the header on the drivers side the number 1 tube is hitting my torsion bar as it come down under the car and the collector tube area the torsion bar is hitting there too. Has anyone had this problem before let me know and whats the best header. besides tti i don't have that kind of money. Email me at [email protected] or call me at 865-556-8636 Mark

I guess i could just hammer the tube away from the torsion bar just to clear it but it will still be up next to the collector area.

The problem is the heads are sitting higher and farther apart than on the 383. BEST header? That's kinda subjective. I'm sure some will say TTI, others Doug's, someone out there might even like BlackJack. I like ProStocks......but ya can't get them anymore.

First thing I would do is call TTI to see if they say they offer a different header for a 440 Vs a 383

You may be better cutting and replacing a few tubes if the fit is close. The port on the Indy heads sit about 1/2" higher and the Rb block is taller. TTi does make a 2" set that will fit, the Hooker Super comps are close, but you may end up cutting a few tubes to help the fit. Don't hammer the tubes, a little cutting and welding or slip fit is all you need.

I have since put a 1" spacer in all the tube and it have worked i still had to do some hammer work to clear areas but it looks good so far,

I Have had EVERYBODIES Headers in my 67 Coronet.Wedge Heads,INDY Heads,Zeekers,B-1's,HEMI,Keith Black,R/B and Low Deck...I Have Not Found ANYONE's Headers that have worked.Headman Custom Made my Indy Headers for my car.I sent them to Jet-Hot and got them back and went to stick them in the car and My Brother Had a LARGE Bowel Movement When I Took My 20# Hand Sledge and a Block Of Wood and went to ADJUSTING them...He said I Know how much you have in those headers($1500 at the time'94)and there you are beating them up to fit.I Said They Work BETTER IN the car than ON The Wall Of the Shop...I Gotta Go Raicin'...
You Will ALWAYS have to adjust any header.EVEN TTI's have had to be beat up to fit.People say that it will hender the Performance...Well I Have set The HEMI Record 15 Times with Beat Up Headers And Have Run The fasest of 9.21 with the Indy Headed 500 Cu in my 4170# Car.So If it is hendering it Oh Well...It RUNS...

SS

Auto Transport Service
Back