• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Header studs - No Shoulder- Okay?

BPBP440

Local time
10:25 PM
Reaction score
I ordered Mr. Gasket header studs for my 440 906 heads and to my surprise they have no shoulder with a continuous thread from end to end. I know the shoulder is not a sealing surface, but I imagine the shoulder interrupting the spiral leak path would help with reducing the leak path.

Any thoughts on this? I will be using sealer either way.

Last edited:
Those sound no better than set screws, and since the threads are open to the water jacket, there would be nothing to lock them in place except the locktite.I wouldn't use them.

Not ideal, allows a bit more slop on flange alignment. Leakage is a function of the gasket & the clamping of the stud/nut not the thread or shoulder fit.

Not ideal but will work, if time isn't a factor I'd get a new set. The shoulders are nice in the fact that they bottom out giving it something to snug against and don't allow the stud to be ran deep into the head by a snug fitting nut.

Last edited:
IIRC,, the right studs are course thread into the head and fine thread on the flange side,,, but if you have the right hardware, seal them up , run them in about a 1/2" . use a good copper header gasket sealer with gaskets, don't over tighten and you should be fine.

upload_2020-7-18_12-53-46.png

Thanks all. I have time, so will return these and get something different.

Those are literally setscrews. I use 1/4x20 just like that for valve cover hold down, but those go into a blind hole. Those setscrews would work ok in a cylinder head that had blind holes, I sure wouldn't use them in 906s.

Auto Transport Service
Back