• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve cover gasket sealing surface

zyzzyx

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:07 PM
Reaction score
Well, I said that I was going to machine the top sealing surface of my 906 heads so they were
flat. I didn't want any oil leaks! I went to my friends Machine Shop and set them up on his
mill and found that as-cast, the surface was a little like a roller coaster. No surprise here. the
surprise came when the indicator showed a 0.065 dip on the one end that would be adjacent
to the driver's side firewall. I plan on using the Moroso blue silicone over steel gaskets ($52.00) to help seal it all up. I Just wanted to report back on what I found and after seeing
what was going on, I recommend everyone that has the ability do this because of the un-even
top rail. Now I can assemble my heads! Done.

I measured the angle at 8 degrees and about 20 minutes. I set it on the Bridgeport table
with the exhaust side of the head facing the column, with the edge up against the far end
of a slot. Then I set the angle by using a piece of ground round stock in the closest to
the operator table slot. Shimmed and clamped it down. I just set the valve cover on and
am I happy!

When I set mine up I didn't even pay attention to the angle, I took the readings & tweaked the angle to minimize the variation in the readings...

Auto Transport Service
Back