• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headers for 1964 Polara 500

Wyatt

Local time
8:00 AM
Reaction score
Looking (desperately?) for a nice set of headers for my 1964 Polara 500. I see a lot of options that are close, but nothing that is a specific fit. FYI: The car was an original 383, but now a 440. Ideally, long tube & ceramic coated. Any help is appreciated! Thx.

I think Doug's makes a nice one for the early cars.

I'd be surprised if TTI doesn't have a specific header for that chassis. 383 or 440 headers should interchange, difference being thay would hang a little lower on a low deck motor.

Edit: the catalogs all say that the later 66-up headers don't fit, because of the different engine placement on the k-member in the 62-65. I have never seen any explanation of WHY they dont fit. What/where is the interference, and how serious is it?
If I needed headers for my 62 with a 440, I'd try the summit/jegs/patriot generic headers, just to find out. Bashing a few tubes wouldnt bother me a bit.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if TTI doesn't have a specific header for that chassis. 383 or 440 headers should interchange, difference being thay would hang a little lower on a low deck motor.

Edit: the catalogs all say that the later 66-up headers don't fit, because of the different engine placement on the k-member in the 62-65. I have never seen any explanation of WHY they dont fit. What/where is the interference, and how serious is it?
If I needed headers for my 62 with a 440, I'd try the summit/jegs/patriot generic headers, just to find out. Bashing a few tubes wouldnt bother me a bit.
Thank you! Yes, this is exactly what I was running into. '66 and above only. And then, after paying $800.00 or more for them, just how much bashing? Without a definitive answer / solution...I might be staying with the OEM manifolds.

Also, where's my racers? I've seen numerous '64 Polara's drag racing over the years. Are they cutting the inner fender wells to fit?

I don't know what others are using.
I'm using some slightly modified and repaired ancient hooker super comp adjustables that I bought decades ago. 62-65 specific, close to equal length, but in order to do that, the rear tube on each side goes thru the wheelwell.
Considering that they are in four pieces on each side, they are the easiest to install headers I have ever had, once the hole is installed in the inner fender.

Max has fenderwells.

MAX 2022-1.JPG

I used TTI on my '62 Sport Fury. 440 t-Flite. The car had power steering, power brakes and AC. I've installed dozens of headers in different cars over my many years, These were this first ones I didn't have to dent.

^^^^^^ Agree Call TTI and ask for Mike Rabby. Tell him what you have. I have used many TTI headers and systems over the years and only had one problem.
ME ! I asked for Hemi headers and gave them the wrong K frame that I used.Though my mistake they went out of their way and replaced my driver side header with the correct one for the K frame that I used.
This photo is a 64 Fury with TTI's .Always use New engine mounts along with new transmission mount and you won't have to ding anything.

IMG_0728.jpg

I'm watching because I need headers also.

Mini starter okay to use or other problems.

Also, where's my racers? I've seen numerous '64 Polara's drag racing over the years. Are they cutting the inner fender wells to fit?
I built fender well headers for my 64 Polara NSS car. Mainly because I wanted reasonable serviceability for stater and spark plug removal. Plus when it came time to remove the engine, they came off easy without standing on my head turning bolts with a wrench 1/4 turn at a time. Plus, you get the tubes much closer to equal length.

^^^^^^ Agree Call TTI and ask for Mike Rabby. Tell him what you have. I have used many TTI headers and systems over the years and only had one problem.
ME ! I asked for Hemi headers and gave them the wrong K frame that I used.Though my mistake they went out of their way and replaced my driver side header with the correct one for the K frame that I used.
This photo is a 64 Fury with TTI's .Always use New engine mounts along with new transmission mount and you won't have to ding anything.

View attachment 1476350
Thank you! Thank you for the info. Very much appreciated! I'll be on the phone with them tomorrow.

Personally, I don't like headers on a street car. They seem to always eventually leak. Why not try a pair of '67- '70 HP. exhaust manifolds instead?

I've found that hooker comps for 66 and up can work on the early cars if you bash the pipes in where the pitman and idler swing. The engine ahead makes it tight to the steering linkage.
Also, I've had the ttis from 66 up (2" step big boys) just slide in the 64 like they belong there. Now THATS well designed.

Looking (desperately?) for a nice set of headers for my 1964 Polara 500. I see a lot of options that are close, but nothing that is a specific fit. FYI: The car was an original 383, but now a 440. Ideally, long tube & ceramic coated. Any help is appreciated! Thx.
I have the same car as you, but not a 500 model. 426w with Dougs D452 headers. Perfect fit.

. 426w with Dougs D452 headers. Perfect fit.
There ya go. I always mention TTI because of working with them on at least 25 builds over the years.
There are many others out there just as good. It's your call !

There ya go. I always mention TTI because of working with them on at least 25 builds over the years.
There are many others out there just as good. It's your call !
1) I called TTI. Great folks. I talked with Sam. They have a part number. But, unfortunately, it's not in stock until August / September. 2) I'm going to look into the Doug's first thing tomorrow. Thx! Last, 3) I'll certainly consider exhaust manifolds. I'm checking the casting numbers on mine to see if they're High Performance or not. Keep y'all posted. Thanks again for your input.

Auto Transport Service
Back