• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headers Hitting Steering Box

ToddMcF2002

Local time
7:22 PM
Reaction score
My 69 GTX has an old set of Hedman headers that are clearly hitting the steering box off my #3 collector. It appears to be an OEM steering box. This is my only interference I've found so far. I was contemplating temporarily solving this by jacking up the motor a bit and sticking a bar in there and dropping it down a few times to bend the collector. Sound approach? Anyone recognize these Hedmans?

IMG_8059.jpg IMG_8060.jpg IMG_8061.jpg

looks like they've been like that for a while! maybe just get some insul. on them!
being old they might not take to the reshaping well!

They are definitely touching. I have a vibration on the highway on throttle that logic says this is contributing to. Not sure I can slide anything in there but to your point I could "dampen" the contact by jacking it up and sliding something in there

A thing to consider is the motor mounts are old and sagging allowing the motor to move from its original location with the headers just off the steering box to laying right on the steering box.

Cliff Ramsdell

Good point Cliff I'll check that. The car was on rotisserie in the last 2 years I would think the mounts are new. But given they put on junk headers its possible!

They look like they clear now. To me on acceleration fore ward it should lift up and not hit. Reverse under load it might hit. If an automatic have someone brake torque it in for ward and reverse while watching.

Maybe you can get more clearance by loosening drivers and passengers motor mounts. Raise engine and wedge motor to passengers side and lower motor while wedged.

Can u just put a dent in the tube? Engine masters did a dyno test on dents vs no dents. No measurable change.

Install new mounts add 1/4 plate under the rubber part of the mount and should take care of the problem.

Trust me, I feel your pain. Hedmans fit lousy on our big blocks.
Mine have been "massaged" heavily in a couple places to give me more clearance -
off the car is a ton easier to do that.
Even after doing that, they make changing plugs a chore when it doesn't have to be,
but as long as they don't leak and remain solid, I reckon I'll keep 'em, "Ed customized". :)

Time for some TTI's. I went from Hedmans to TTi and fit perfectly.
I had to dent my TTIs to clear my power steering box despite good motor mounts and the car never being in a wreck.

Need to take them off to be able to hit hard enough to dent them. Trying to dent them by prying against steering box might be a bad idea.

Also mentioned before is worn motor mounts, saw on Nick's Garage a motor that sat lopsided due to different height new motor mounts.

Needless to say if I take them off that's a one way road
So....you're willing to keep them if they stay on the car, but not if they have to come off long enough
to clearance them?

So....you're willing to keep them if they stay on the car, but not if they have to come off long enough
to clearance them?
I love the internet comments I really do. But I clearly said up top "I was contemplating temporarily solving this by ..."

On my 72 charger the only way I could solve it was installing a borgeson steering box.
I have dougs headers

I love the internet comments I really do. But I clearly said up top "I was contemplating temporarily solving this by ..."
1. You just confirmed what I asked.
2. You've already seen posts by some very knowledgeable folks here advising against your notion of a "temporary
solve".

I know you're young - and relatively new to FBBO - so one additional, unsolicited piece of advice I personally offer:
speaking of "internet comments", don't be that guy. You don't know me; don't assume.
People that are much more seasoned than you, that have been here a lot longer than you, are more than willing
to help if asked - that's the beauty of this site (and of the Mopar hobby in general).
As such, don't be that guy that slights others you may disagree with; don't disrespect those who've
been working on these cars for literally decades longer, either.
You can learn and with time become another helpful member of this community - or you can be another added
to lots of "Ignore" lists.
Your call.

First off feel free to put me on ignore. Your "So...." post was patronizing and I reacted to it appropriately. You see me arguing with anybody else on this thread? No, because I value the responses as I valued your first response. You don't know me either BTW. And I'm not young.

Auto Transport Service
Back