• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headers Hitting Steering Box

Header can be a pain in the butt, reason I went with cast iron on last 72 Charger I had. It was just a cruiser, so I wasn’t after all the HP I could get.

Don’t blame you for not wanting the headache, laying on your back wrestling with starter and header is aggravating. Had headers off and on a few times before they fit ok.

If it was easy and cheap more people would have Old Mopars, you either need the skills and patience or a big wallet to keep these cars on the road.

I have long tubes in my 65 Mustang which are tight on the shock towers but these 440’s redefine tight. I might try a set of Doug’s or just go to stock manifolds. My GTX is strictly a bomb around town & hit some shows car.

My Coronet had hedmans on it when I bought it.

They hit both the power steering box and the torsion bar on drivers side. Not hard but same scenario as you mentioned. a slight rattle in park. and a deep growl in reverse .

The amount of work I just did to the car ( cleaning / detailing the engine compartment and rebuilding the front suspension ) I felt it was a good time to delete the headers and go back to stock . So thats what I did. and have zero regrets

It took me around 90 minutes to change the plugs because of those headers. Now I'm good at it so I'm torn but I do think if I keep headers I've got to replace these particular ones. I guess Dougs make sense. I'll check the torsion I didn't think it was hitting but my bars have the front up fairly high at the moment. To clear the headers maybe?

Auto Transport Service
Back