• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headers Recommendations

Joel Talka

Local time
10:30 AM
Reaction score
I am looking for thoughts/recommendations for a set of headers for my 1966 Coronet 440. The engine will be a 340/360 vintage small block @ 408ci. The car previously had a 318.

I'm looking for something with large runners (I think 1 5/8") into a 3" collector to get max flow. The car did have have headers and the small starter which was there when I bought it. The starter is good but the headers not so much.

I know that there are a bunch out there, almost too many to pick from..

Appreciate your input.

Joel

Do NOT use Patriot headers...ever
About the only thing they fit was the heads and the customer service to correct them was the worst.
Never did end up using them because they were so bad.

TTI, but they are around $1,000
Haven't used the coated Hooker super comps, but they are even more expensive than the TTI headers.

Doug's. Just put some in a 70 challenger, couldn't believe how nice they fit.

NO more Doug's here. Installed a set last summer. Fit not so bad but flanges were not true, had to grind to get flat, also the welds at flanges were terrible.

When I refreshed the X I bought Hooker ceramic and they fit well and have held up nicely - price was right. Summit.

I know everyone lauds TTIs for many reasons - but you have to pay the piper for those too.

From memory the hookers and hedmans back in the day were terrible on smallblocks. Tubes hitting the ground, flipping the center link etc

IMHO TTI is the only way to go. They only do Mopar and they are the best easiest fitting.

20221221_190306.jpg
20221020_222603.jpg

I custom ordered my TTI headers with O2 sensor bungs welded in for EFI. You can get the TTI headers with different coating options too, but I went with the internal and external ceramic coated.

Auto Transport Service
Back