• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headlight Switch needed for my 65 Coronet.

Riverdawg

Local time
9:07 AM
Reaction score
Are the dash lights supposed to come on with the ignition switch? My headlight switch seems to work ok otherwise. One thing I did see when I was trying to pull the instrument panel out a while back was a spring hanging lose around the headlight switch. I don't know if this something to do with a dimmer? Not sure if the 65 has dimming. Has anyone ever bought parts from the ebay store. Not sure is I need a new one or if they are rebuildable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Headlight-...366474?hash=item1f12db948a:g:tY0AAOSwBt5ZI4j1

Thanks for the help.

Are the dash lights supposed to come on with the ignition switch? My headlight switch seems to work ok otherwise. One thing I did see when I was trying to pull the instrument panel out a while back was a spring hanging lose around the headlight switch. I don't know if this something to do with a dimmer? Not sure if the 65 has dimming. Has anyone ever bought parts from the ebay store. Not sure is I need a new one or if they are rebuildable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Headlight-...366474?hash=item1f12db948a:g:tY0AAOSwBt5ZI4j1

Thanks for the help.
Go to your local parts store. The last one I bought for a 67 Coronet was like $11 plus tax about a year ago. It's probably the same switch.

No kidding. I'll look into that tomorrow. Thanks.

That’s my go to store. Great people at the store by me.

One thing I did see when I was trying to pull the instrument panel out a while back was a spring hanging lose around the headlight switch. I don't know if this something to do with a dimmer?

Yeah, I'd bet you a beer that's the rheostat for the dash dimming. Hopefully it coming apart didn't pop the instrument light fuse.

Yeah, I'd bet you a beer that's the rheostat for the dash dimming. Hopefully it coming apart didn't pop the instrument light fuse.

nope. I started checking the dash bulbs a month ago and discovered they were all burned out. Replaced them all with LED’s. Right now they are all working great. Anyone have a thought about the first question.
Are the dash lights supposed to come on with the ignition switch?

Usually with the headlight switch, regardless of the ignition switch position.

That’s what I suspected. Hopefully a new switch fixes that. Though I know some of the dash wires are melted, so that could also be an issue. Hopefully gonna rewire the dash this winter. Thanks for the help and info all.

Sign up for Year One's spam/email list and wait for a 25% off sale, order the M&H dash harness. Sounds like there's some serious issues. Make sure the nuts on the ammeter wires are tight. Evans Wiring has fusible links and engine harnesses for decent prices. Or carry a second fire extinguisher. Everyone should carry one at least.

Auto Transport Service
Back