• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headlight vacuum actuator question

fireguyfire

Local time
7:08 PM
Reaction score
I am restoring the front grille on my 69 charger, and I have been testing my headlight door vacuum actuators with a vacuum pump. My drivers side actuator is not working. Is it possible to rebuild these things?

Also, my passenger side actuator has a bend in the end of the arm, while my drivers side one is straight. The bend looks factory and not an accident.
Is the end of one of the actuators supposed to have a bend where it connects to the headlight door rod? IMG_4452.jpegIMG_4451.jpeg

I have only worked on these when I restored my Superbird, but neither had a bend in the actuator rod.

I am restoring the front grille on my 69 charger, and I have been testing my headlight door vacuum actuators with a vacuum pump. My drivers side actuator is not working. Is it possible to rebuild these things?

Also, my passenger side actuator has a bend in the end of the arm, while my drivers side one is straight. The bend looks factory and not an accident.
Is the end of one of the actuators supposed to have a bend where it connects to the headlight door rod?View attachment 1634797View attachment 1634798
I don't know who if anyone can rebuild the vacuum actuators but I can tell you that your right side actuator should not be bent. I took a couple pics of a complete 69 Charger grille I have and both are straight. Maybe Bambi got too close to yours. Here are a couple pics of mine

100_1433.JPG

100_1434.JPG

Kinda had the same issue with mine, one would hold vacuum the other not so much. Checked the prices of replacing both since they were over 50 years old and choked on the price. Which is why I went with the electronic conversion, cheaper and no lazy eye when they open.

346.jpg

347.jpg

348.jpg

Yeah I think I would do a conversion on mine if they fail too. I see someone has a pair of them on Ebay. ($800 bucks) PN: 2889883
Where did you get the electric ones? Lucky me.......Mine still work properly.

Yeah I think I would do a conversion on mine if they fail too. I see someone has a pair of them on Ebay. ($800 bucks) PN: 2889883
Where did you get the electric ones? Lucky me.......Mine still work properly.
I got mine from Herbs Parts, (Charger specialties) #CS305. The first set I bought had some issues, sent them back and they just replaced the kit with their new version even though I had bought the kit several years ago. Great people to work with.

I got mine from Herbs Parts, (Charger specialties) #CS305. The first set I bought had some issues, sent them back and they just replaced the kit with their new version even though I had bought the kit several years ago. Great people to work with.

Auto Transport Service
Back