• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headlights cut out

BryonW

Local time
9:58 AM
Reaction score
All 4 headlights cut out intermittently. They come back on and it doesn't matter if the brights are on or not. This is on a 70 Satellite. Where should I start?
Thanks Bryon

I had a problem with the headlights cutting out after a short time with the brights on. A new dimmer switch made no difference. I ended up doing the cracked back conversion, and problem solved

I had a problem with the headlights cutting out after a short time with the brights on. A new dimmer switch made no difference. I ended up doing the cracked back conversion, and problem solved
Sure there are fixes that can make a system better. The simple fact is the poster needs to diagnose and fix what he has. It is a simple uncomplicated system and very, very easy to diagnose and fix properly.

The headlight switch on some models has a built in breaker that resets itself.
I suspect that after the wiring heats up and builds resistance, the breaker trips more frequently. The fix? Replace the switch.

The lights cut out whether the brights are on or off. I wasn't clear on that. But all of the lights that are on shut off.

The headlight switch on some models has a built in breaker that resets itself.
I suspect that after the wiring heats up and builds resistance, the breaker trips more frequently. The fix? Replace the switch.
That was what I was thinking. It didn't do it until the lights had been on for awhile.

If it is a breaker being tripped then it should have a rhythmic on-off-on-off cycling. If they just shut off its most likely not the breaker cycling.

The contacts within the high/low dimmer switch often oxidize... Due to lack of use.. Suggest that U push the switch In/Out multiple times to burnish the contacts... If still issues, replace the switch...

Just my $0.02...

Auto Transport Service
Back