• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater box resto

So, I'm reading this thread with interest. Just got my 70 Charger 500 on Monday. Survivor unrestored Florida car, heater core unhooked. Before I hook it up and bathe my interior in coolant (was it unhooked because it's Florida? Or because it leaked?), I think I'll pull my box and check components. The Charger is factory a/c, buckets and console. How major of a surgery am I in for, to remove this thing? Is it really 5 bolts, cables, and out? Or is the console going to throw me some new curve balls? I'm not worried about the rebuild process...just the rubiks-cube movements required to actually get it out of the car!

Great photos - I'll definitely use them for reference :)
It'll slip out. There is a bracket that goes up the firewall and then a couple of bolts I think three on the engine side

Yup, just take pics of where all vacuum hose run for later install

Nice work Torkmnstr! Looks like you bead blasted all your metal pieces. Parts look great! I am in the process of redoing my '70 Satellite heater box, the parts are out for blasting now, the machine shop has strongly advised painting all of them to prevent rusting, including the squirrel cage. I've searched these forums and haven't found where anyone specifically says one way or the other on painting the metal. I know factory original is unpainted but what's the better path forward? Expect there's some downside with paint?

Appreciate any wisdom/shared experience from the community & Thanks.

Nice work Torkmnstr! Looks like you bead blasted all your metal pieces. Parts look great! I am in the process of redoing my '70 Satellite heater box, the parts are out for blasting now, the machine shop has strongly advised painting all of them to prevent rusting, including the squirrel cage. I've searched these forums and haven't found where anyone specifically says one way or the other on painting the metal. I know factory original is unpainted but what's the better path forward? Expect there's some downside with paint?

Boeshield T-9. Protectant. I've had mine sitting with just that for a number of months now and no sign of rust at all. Don't see the point to do anything different

Boeshield T-9. Protectant. I've had mine sitting with just that for a number of months now and no sign of rust at all. Don't see the point to do anything different
Screenshot_20201214-102033.png
Screenshot_20201214-102055.png
Screenshot_20201214-102108.png

Thanks twist, the metal I just used evaporust. I was lucky to have all just surface rust nothing too bad. As for paint I used Seymour stainless spray paint. The paint will last for ever, just get it painted quick and don’t handle the blasted pieces with bare hands you get rust on it.

Auto Transport Service
Back