heater core bypass

Heating, Cooling & AC

1. kournikova462

kournikova462 Member

Local Time:
    9:49 AM
    hey everyone

i have a 67 belvedere with NON working AC ( compressor removed ect ) my car still has the AC style heater box in.... im just completing a restoration and found my heater control valve to be leaky.... so i went and bought a couple 3/4 brass ball valves.... i installed them on the input and return lines so i can shut coolant off to my heater core....

my question is

can i run the motor with the inlet ballvalve off or will it build up pressure and blow the hoses ???? i would like to keep water out of the heater core unless absolutly needed

any ideas

thanks
    JHo

2. 69 Runner

69 Runner ADMIN wif a corner office (Deceased - RIP)

Local Time:
    10:49 AM
    Won't hurt a thing. True, the O.E. valve (the one at the firewall) does NOT completely cut the water off. I'm relatively sure that wasn't because of any kind of pressure issues, but for keeping circulation so that things don't gum up.

By the way, there is a place that is selling that valve again. NAPA also sells a "kit" to fix the leak (which allows water inside the car). But trust me, doing the fix on one of these is a real bitch.

damhik

3. kournikova462

kournikova462 Member

Local Time:
    9:49 AM
    wow thanks for the tip 69
    do you by chance know the name of the place repoping these

and i would even shudder to try and explain this to the guys at my napa.... if its not an alternator for a 95 civic they just say they dont have it :)

any help would be great thanks

JHo

4. 69 Runner

69 Runner ADMIN wif a corner office (Deceased - RIP)

Local Time:
    10:49 AM
    It's been quite some time since I've had to score one, but I'm sure someone will chime in with the right info. The NAPA "kit" is just the rubber seal at the back of the valve, which is actually inside the car when mounted. The problem is the curved crimps that hold it all together. They are a real pain to deal with. The "kit" is about 6 bucks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.