• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

heater core bypass

kournikova462

Local time
8:58 PM
Reaction score
hey everyone

i have a 67 belvedere with NON working AC ( compressor removed ect ) my car still has the AC style heater box in.... im just completing a restoration and found my heater control valve to be leaky.... so i went and bought a couple 3/4 brass ball valves.... i installed them on the input and return lines so i can shut coolant off to my heater core....

my question is

can i run the motor with the inlet ballvalve off or will it build up pressure and blow the hoses ???? i would like to keep water out of the heater core unless absolutly needed

any ideas

thanks
JHo

Won't hurt a thing. True, the O.E. valve (the one at the firewall) does NOT completely cut the water off. I'm relatively sure that wasn't because of any kind of pressure issues, but for keeping circulation so that things don't gum up.

By the way, there is a place that is selling that valve again. NAPA also sells a "kit" to fix the leak (which allows water inside the car). But trust me, doing the fix on one of these is a real bitch.

damhik

wow thanks for the tip 69
do you by chance know the name of the place repoping these

and i would even shudder to try and explain this to the guys at my napa.... if its not an alternator for a 95 civic they just say they dont have it :)

any help would be great thanks

JHo

It's been quite some time since I've had to score one, but I'm sure someone will chime in with the right info. The NAPA "kit" is just the rubber seal at the back of the valve, which is actually inside the car when mounted. The problem is the curved crimps that hold it all together. They are a real pain to deal with. The "kit" is about 6 bucks

Auto Transport Service
Back