• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater for my 68 info wanted

dana44

Local time
1:14 PM
Reaction score
I am missing everything for this car to have heat, box, core, controls. I have nothing in it. I was told it's an AC car and that a regular heater box won't work, is this true? Bottom line I don't care about A/C, but I will need heat on my glass if I plan to drive it in the morning.
Please pass on the educational warnings.....

You’re right that the boxes don’t interchange, the firewalls are different between A/C and non A/C.
The A/C boxes are difficult and expensive to restore. I would just go with an aftermarket hot rod heater until I could deal with the time and expense of putting it back to original. There were 43 results when I searched “heater” on Summit.

A/C firewall will have a large round hole for the blower motor that will have to be plugged.

You’re right that the boxes don’t interchange, the firewalls are different between A/C and non A/C.
The A/C boxes are difficult and expensive to restore. I would just go with an aftermarket hot rod heater until I could deal with the time and expense of putting it back to original. There were 43 results when I searched “heater” on Summit.

A/C firewall will have a large round hole for the blower motor that will have to be plugged.
And another hole for the a/c lines…

AC boxes are not hard to restore and are generally available. Yes, there is a lot to them and some expensive parts but to me worth it in the long run. Plus it fills those nasty holes in the firewall.

Is this an a/c car?

20221122_141332.jpg

20221122_172916.jpg

Could a guy just unch 2 heater hose holes?
Maybe some mounting stud holes..

The difference between 1970 and 68-69 is 1/2” heater inlet hose, 5/8” outlet, vs 5/8” for both on 68-69. Also the heater control valve is vacuum controlled vs mechanical I think. I believe everything else is the same. And the inlet is on the control valve, so use your old one and shouldn’t have an issue.

You’ll also need the fresh air accordion duct and the J bolts to install it.

Check the price on a heater core for those.

Last edited:
I don’t think those electric heaters are any good, maybe just to supplement your factory heater. At least the ones available in the 90’s were.

The difference between 1970 and 68-69 is 1/2” heater inlet hose, 5/8” outlet, vs 5/8” for both on 68-69. Also the heater control valve is vacuum controlled vs mechanical I think. I believe everything else is the same.

You’ll also need the fresh air accordion duct and the J bolts to install it.

Check the price on a heater core for those.
The cost on the core is not bad, I'm still on the hunt for the right parts but I'm not above building my own electric heater and plum it to the vents.

I think I go with this, move and mount the switches, build a bracket to mount under the dash add a waste gate to shut off flow for summer. Connect to existing vents call it a day.

(DISCLAIMER I will use existing mounting holes for the bracket to mount under the dash, no cutting or hack job will take place on this Mopar)

Screenshot_20221128_190521_Chrome.jpg

I have an assy out of a 68 RR--if your still looking I will dig it off the shelf and hawk eye it and update you--PM me. I'm 34982 in fla

I looked at the heater box assy and it ia a 69 Road Runner non A/C unit--will need a new shut resistor --$100.00 plus shipping from 34982 if you want it--Merry Christmas

Auto Transport Service
Back