• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hellcat on the autobahn

I thought the autobahn was a traffic jam these days. I guess not. Not for me.....

The video showed his speeds in Kilometers/hour. not Miles/hour. KMH is roughly 5/8ths of MPH, I believe..
So the top speed I saw of 260 is actually about 162 MPH.... Correct?

The video showed his speeds in Kilometers/hour. not Miles/hour. KMH is roughly 5/8ths of MPH, I believe..
So the top speed I saw of 260 is actually about 162 MPH.... Correct?
Correct.. but even at 162mph, that's still flying when you're amongst other unknown quantities - as in other drivers on a public road. I prefer to do my racing on a track, or a deserted road. Other drivers are very hard to trust when going way faster than they are.

there's a stretch of service drive along 94 near my house no driveways and a good sight distance, cool passing cars by the freeway like there standing still.

Correct.. but even at 162mph, that's still flying when you're amongst other unknown quantities - as in other drivers on a public road. I prefer to do my racing on a track, or a deserted road. Other drivers are very hard to trust when going way faster than they are.
The outer Red ring was MPH. 100kph = 62.5mph.

back in the day I was on the Autobahn pretty much daily. I have seen some wicked bad accidents. Generally driving over 100 mph most of the time you get used to speeds from 70 - 130. Makes driving 55 feel like idling along really slowly. You really have use good judgement about what's ahead of you and how they are acting. No daydreaming allowed...

Ahhh...I miss those days of flying up and down the Autobahn...
1st assignment in Germany in 1995 I had a Camaro Z28 6 speed with T-tops. Hit 135 mph once and I thought it would go airborne. White knuckle driving. The fastest I've ever been in a car.

back in the day I was on the Autobahn pretty much daily. I have seen some wicked bad accidents. Generally driving over 100 mph most of the time you get used to speeds from 70 - 130. Makes driving 55 feel like idling along really slowly. You really have use good judgement about what's ahead of you and how they are acting. No daydreaming allowed...
Yep, you'd better damn well be looking way down the road and stay out of the left lane unless you're moving fast. One thing I'll say though, the Germans are damn good drivers overall...way better than Americans. Licenses aren't just given away over there...or at least they used not to be.

1st assignment in Germany in 1995 I had a Camaro Z28 6 speed with T-tops. Hit 135 mph once and I thought it would go airborne. White knuckle driving. The fastest I've ever been in a car.
So many Americans shipped cars over and got on the 'bahn only to find out how unsuited they were to high speed in anything other than a straight line. Lots of wrecked American muscle over there back in the day. There was actually an inspection and training course you had to submit to in order to drive them...

Yeah, I vividly remember the driving test for a European license. 120 something road signs had to mesmerized..plus the rest...tough test..
Many times big sedans would sail by me going more than 120 or so, with Polizei right behind them on a big BMW bike making sure they didn't drive recklessly...swapping lanes and such...

I bought a 1985 Audi 5000 Quattro at a German dealership, brand new. THAT car was phenomenal on the 'Bahn. The faster you drove the better it handled and felt. It hunkered down and got quieter, the steering felt tighter. It really drove better at speed then slower. Great car.

American muscle is apparently quite popular in Germany actually - and there is more than one Hellcat that routinely runs the 'Ring. I've seen several videos featuring them (I'm sort of a Nürburgring video junkie in the wee hours - hey, I have a lot of time to kill in the middle of the night when normal people are sleeping).
One of the best is a series of in-car videos of a Hellcat Charger. Search for them, they're easy to find.
One fellows' channel on YouTube has a bunch of them - his channel is called "Bavarian MOPAR Works".

Goddam those Conners. Slow you down every time. Just like autocorrect.

American muscle is apparently quite popular in Germany actually - and there is more than one Hellcat that routinely runs the 'Ring. I've seen several videos featuring them (I'm sort of a Nürburgring video junkie in the wee hours - hey, I have a lot of time to kill in the middle of the night when normal people are sleeping).
One of the best is a series of in-car videos of a Hellcat Charger. Search for them, they're easy to find.
One fellows' channel on YouTube has a bunch of them - his channel is called "Bavarian MOPAR Works".
Agree, I didn't mean to imply that American muscle was unpopular in Europe. They are popular and rightfully so as American manufacturers have stepped up and made our cars handle better, thus creating cars that CAN be driven at high speed on winding roads without crashing on every turn.

That's what I call Letting the horses run!! We have a 6 mile straight flat spot in the flats by my house that is perfect for an occasional high speed run. The way my 65 is set up it's nothing to hit 130 to 140. I have never tried to top it out, I'm sure 160 is realistic.

Always cool when your buddy has his hands latched to the bottom of the seat and you tell him to watch the telephone poles. Oh to be 18, drunk and stupid again. I had the last 2 down pat the last few days!

Smiths Falls to North Gower, other than one S turn was a good 20 mile straight stretch to let the Bee roll with her 2.94 rear gears. Speedo wrapped around past the 150 sitting in the bottom...

I bought a 1985 Audi 5000 Quattro at a German dealership, brand new. THAT car was phenomenal on the 'Bahn. The faster you drove the better it handled and felt. It hunkered down and got quieter, the steering felt tighter. It really drove better at speed then slower. Great car.
Yes. The Audis, BMWs, Mercedes, hell, even the VWs were made for speed. Many a time that a VW would go by 100 mph or better like it was just another day at the park.
Agree, I didn't mean to imply that American muscle was unpopular in Europe. They are popular and rightfully so as American manufacturers have stepped up and made our cars handle better, thus creating cars that CAN be driven at high speed on winding roads without crashing on every turn.
Yep, now they can. That '95 Z28 I had back then couldn't. It was loose...and it was a new car.

I live in Germany. And I can tell you, it is almost impossible to drive that fast. There might be some sections of the Autobahn with less traffic.
You never can plan a trip here in Germany scheduled on time. Almost everytime you get stucked in traffic jam. And it gets worse every year.
30 years ago you knew, I need 5 hours for 300 miles on the Autobahn. Today you´re lucky if you make that in 8 hours. There are so many
road constructions that take years to be completed. They really need years for a 10 mile section.

I have seen it in the US. You guys over there do that a a few weeks, if not even faster than that.
I often spend my vacations in the US (my favorite country anyway). And I love it to plan trips. I always know I can make a 300 mile trip in 5 hours

Here in Germany many people are dying because of traffic jam in these road constructions. German drivers a getting more and more reckless.
I guess this is the result of the dissatisfaction with our government.
We have so many truck drivers from Eastern European countries on the Autobahn, that are drunk or are falling asleep when driving.
It is no fun at all to be on the Autobahn.

Mario

Auto Transport Service
Back