• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HellCrate into 71 Charger

zslacker

Local time
6:01 PM
Reaction score
I started the process of installing my crate motor into the 71. Although i have looked around the internet i have not been able to find clear step by step instructions on how to do this (maybe i'm looking in all the wrong places). So I decided to just start on it and here is what i have discovered so far.
Motor mounts from TTI seem to fit perfect, they come with the 7 bolts needed for installation.
The drivers side goes on with no issue as does the passenger side however, the dipstick is in the way of the passenger side mount. The dipstick must be removed and another one purchased that is fitted to the drivers side. This doesnt appear to be a problem since there is already a location on right side for the new one. I chose solid mounts for this car. As you can see in the pic the mounts are not even close to clearing the oil filter. Hence, the oil filter must be relocated. Instead of a 45 or 90 degree angle adaptor i went with a remote filter kit.
Of course, the oil pan will not work with a v-8 k frame. It is way too far forward and way to deep. A center sump Milodon pan will be taking its place. The existing oil pump pick up tube will obvisouly not work so i'll install a new one. To do this i need 4 new main cap bolts. Apparently the factory windage tray will still work, we shall see. I should have these parts all here next week.
So there it is, right at $1000 for parts and the damned thing isnt even off the engine stand.
hcl.jpg
hcr.jpg
hcm.jpg
hcop.jpg

Maybe it's the picture but that passenger side mount looks a bit wimpy.
The two pieces welded to the flat plate bolted to the block look about
1/8th to 3/16th thick. Seems like a pretty weak setup with solid mounts.
????
Dave

Your gonna be changing that pan anyway so the dipstick isn’t an issue. Also your k frame isn’t gonna work with that oil filter set up. Either notch it or get an aftermarket k frame. I think that filter set needs to stay on a Hellcat, don’t quote me in that.

There’s a good thread on e body I’ll see if I can find it

I had good luck with the Holley kit putting a 5.7 into my 72 'Barracuda. I bought the Holley parts as they became available. Some still aren't admittedly. One thing I'm going to do differently in the next swap is I have one of the Cascar intakes and the distributor drive conversion.

And to be very clear: Doug's Headers actually ended up fitting my Cuda better than any of the ones made by Hooker. For motor mounts and trans mount I used the Holley kit parts. Worked fine. I did have to adjust the pinion angle.

Auto Transport Service
Back