• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello Everyone!

Malon3y

Local time
8:28 AM
Reaction score
New to this forum. I have a 73 Charger SE (440). When I purchased the vehicle it was advertised as “newly rebuilt”, so I treated it accordingly and started with the break in process and at about 500 miles I ran into some issues. I got a pretty gnarly lifter tick and smoke from exhaust. It sounded like a misfire and so after removing the valve covers and inspecting my lifters I noticed one of my lifters was missing about 1/4 inch of steel and others had too much play. My concern now is that 1/4 inch worth of steel shavings floating around in my engine as well as the quality of other components in the engine. I’m leaning towards a rebuild to play it safe and perhaps a performance upgrade while I’m in there. Just curious on whether this is overkill, things to look out for, and realistic expectations/suggestions to maximize the rebuild. I know ’upgrading’ is a very broad term. I’m open to suggestions and I’d like to keep it as old school as I can while also reaching numbers that aren’t going to be overstraining the block.
Thanks everyone!
2023-05-06_Original.jpeg
2023-05-06_Original.jpeg
IMG_1845.jpeg

Also if anyone knows anything about this rear window style. I haven’t found anything about it and suspect it’s a bondo custom deluxe.
IMG_1846.jpeg

Welcome aboard! Nice Charger! The rear quarter window was with a vinyl top when new. I think the SE package.

Welcome from Alabama, I don't know about your rear window, but I suggest a complete teardown of your engine and proper inspection. Minimum will be new cam and lifter package. Maximum complete rebuild.

Welcome to FBBO, a great site with lots of folks with knowledge to share on your latest project. Bummer on your engine troubles, looks like you've wiped out some cam lobes, a fairly common problem these days with hydraulic flat tappets. Good luck bring her back.....

Complete teardown and analysis by a seasoned engine builder. Rebuild as you want from there. You don't know what you have until you do, and you only want to do it once!

Welcome (3)f.jpg

Welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

looks to be mismatched parts too

good luck good idea to know exactly what it has

too bad about the lies by the former owner

caveat emptor/buyer beware

Welcome!
The main problem with ground down lifters is they grind up the pistons and cyl walls

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, words of caution, and support! Hopefully all goes well in the next step and I get her back in order sooner rather than later. I’ll update as progress is made. Thanks again everyone.

ps you guys have cool cars too

New to this forum. I have a 73 Charger SE (440). When I purchased the vehicle it was advertised as “newly rebuilt”, so I treated it accordingly and started with the break in process and at about 500 miles I ran into some issues. I got a pretty gnarly lifter tick and smoke from exhaust. It sounded like a misfire and so after removing the valve covers and inspecting my lifters I noticed one of my lifters was missing about 1/4 inch of steel and others had too much play. My concern now is that 1/4 inch worth of steel shavings floating around in my engine as well as the quality of other components in the engine. I’m leaning towards a rebuild to play it safe and perhaps a performance upgrade while I’m in there. Just curious on whether this is overkill, things to look out for, and realistic expectations/suggestions to maximize the rebuild. I know ’upgrading’ is a very broad term. I’m open to suggestions and I’d like to keep it as old school as I can while also reaching numbers that aren’t going to be overstraining the block.
Thanks everyone! View attachment 1511126View attachment 1511125View attachment 1511130
Also if anyone knows anything about this rear window style. I haven’t found anything about it and suspect it’s a bondo custom deluxe.
View attachment 1511132
Welcome!

Auto Transport Service
Back