• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello from Rosa Manitoba

Rachel 73' RR

Local time
6:04 AM
Reaction score
I have a plum crazy purple 73 roadrunner. I've had it for 3 years. I thought everything was good and that I would be driving it this summer. I'm convinced that my car is shy. Lol. Everytime I want to take it to a car show I can't start it. Let me tell you about the car. First I started with a 383 when I bought the car. Drove it 7 miles and blew the engine. I found another 383 and brought it to a mechanic to get it rebuilt. It was taking too long so in the meantime I found a running 400 with a 2 barrel holley on it. Cleaned everything up and it was great. One day the float decided to stop working and I flooded my car everytime I tried to start it. I took my car to a different mechanic and he put his own 2 barrel Carter on my car so I could keep driving it for the rest of the summer. Well that didn't happen either. lol. My car won't start again and when it does it idles nice but sputters the whole time when driving. If I try to step on it it almost stalls. I have no power anymore either. I can feel the hesitation at hwy speeds. The mechanic that owns the carb has had my car for a week now and can't seem to figure it out. We tried a few different things and nothing helps it. When I unplug the vacuum line from the brake booster my car revs up a little and runs way better. Lol I'm at my witts end. After paying the mechanic $720 it's still the same. Please share your ideas as to what this could possibly be. Thanks in advance!
Screenshot_20230609-183933_Gallery.jpg

I have a plum crazy purple 73 roadrunner. I've had it for 3 years. I thought everything was good and that I would be driving it this summer. I'm convinced that my car is shy. Lol. Everytime I want to take it to a car show I can't start it. Let me tell you about the car. First I started with a 383 when I bought the car. Drove it 7 miles and blew the engine. I found another 383 and brought it to a mechanic to get it rebuilt. It was taking too long so in the meantime I found a running 400 with a 2 barrel holley on it. Cleaned everything up and it was great. One day the float decided to stop working and I flooded my car everytime I tried to start it. I took my car to a different mechanic and he put his own 2 barrel Carter on my car so I could keep driving it for the rest of the summer. Well that didn't happen either. lol. My car won't start again and when it does it idles nice but sputters the whole time when driving. If I try to step on it it almost stalls. I have no power anymore either. I can feel the hesitation at hwy speeds. The mechanic that owns the carb has had my car for a week now and can't seem to figure it out. We tried a few different things and nothing helps it. When I unplug the vacuum line from the brake booster my car revs up a little and runs way better. Lol I'm at my witts end. After paying the mechanic $720 it's still the same. Please share your ideas as to what this could possibly be. Thanks in advance!View attachment 1522554
Welcome from NJ! Hope you get your engine problem resolved quickly!
IMG_3817.gif
IMG_3677.gif
IMG_3533.gif
IMG_3528.gif
IMG_3220.gif
IMG_3156.gif
IMG_3259.gif
IMG_2869.gif
IMG_3458.gif
IMG_3440.gif

Greetings and welcome to FBBO NY!
You call it Plum crazy. I call it In Violet.

Tomato Tomahto I guess :lol:

So it was running good until the Holley started acting up? And it still wouldn’t run right, even after a different carb was installed? I’d start there. If it were me, I’d go back to the original Holley, rebuild it and put that back on. At least you know the car would run right when that carb was working well. And stay away from ethanol gas if you can help it. Especially if the car sits for a long time between starts.

Welcome from the midwest! Nice 73!

IF it is a original 2 barrel motor that hasn't been apart it may have a nylon gear on the timing chain. Over time they get brittle and can literally fall apart. One instant it runs, then it does not. Your cam timing is then off to effect how it runs and no carb will fix it. Just a thought, certainly could be ign timing or gas related. Also a Compression check will sometimes point to what is wrong. Then you know what you have to work with.

Welcome to the board.

Maybe post up your motor issues in the appropriate forum so it gets more eyes on it.;)

From your description I was thinking it might be a vacuum leak, then when you said you remove the vacuum line to the booster it revs up? Maybe try removing that line again and plugging it with something, then try driving the car....if it runs decent and doesn't stall and stumble then you probably have a faulty brake booster.

Welcome to FBBO.

You say you've had the car 3 years and thought you would be driving it now. Was it a field rescued car brought to where it is now? Was it redone prior to you owning it? I ask, because fuel seems to be a potential cause and a tank full of crud can cause multiple issues. Like mentioned, go to the big block forum and start a discussion.

Oh ya, nice car!

Nice to see another Canadian on board. There are some good knowledgeable Mopar owners in your area I understand. Is there a Mopar group?
I would start with the simple things.
If the fuel is old add some Seafoam to the tank. Napa, Canadian Tire.
Check the fuel filter if it has one.
On rare occasions a high mileage motor will have a worn fuel pump rod.
Wish you the best.

Welcome to the site!! And you will most likely get responses if you posted the problem in one of the tech forums.....at least you won't have to wade through all the 'welcome to the site' replies when looking for help :D

Welcome from Alabama, great looking car, hope you resolve your engine issues. Plenty of possibilities have been mentioned, so you have a good start on ruling out items.

Welcome. I’m only about 50mins from you. I’m in Winkler mb.
We should get together as I’m known as the carburetor guy around here. I have numerous ideas and options for you, I’m sure we can get your car all tuned up.
Your road runner and my charger would make good friends.

IMG_3996.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to FBBO

Welcome. I’m only about 50mins from you. I’m in Winkler mb.
We should get together as I’m known as the carburetor guy around here. I have numerous ideas and options for you, I’m sure we can get your car all tuned up.
Your road runner and my charger would make good friends.

View attachment 1523256
Wow! Sweet ride!! I may just have to do that. I took it to the car show in wpg yesterday and it surges like crazy still. Made it there though so that's a good thing. Lol

Wow! Sweet ride!! I may just have to do that. I took it to the car show in wpg yesterday and it surges like crazy still. Made it there though so that's a good thing. Lol
I was wanting to go to Winnipeg yesterday but other things came up the prevented me from making it. Good you made it there and back. But surging sounds terrible. Need to get that thing straightened out.

Auto Transport Service
Back