• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help, ammeter wiring

midnightrider1818

Local time
8:49 PM
Reaction score
ok guys. i had my gauges restored in my 73 rr. ralleye dash with factory tach. i have all my gauges working now but my amp gauge is going in the d range instead of the charging range. i know it is charging cause i can take my meter and put on the batt and get about 14.5 v. i can even unhook the cable and the car will stay running. so my alt is working. under the dash i found two heavy wires. a red one and black one. both were hot. in the wiring diagram it shows those are for my amp gauge. ??. right. anywho my amp gauge is going in the wrong direction. what do i have wrong. i have my batt wire off my alternator going straight to the batt. i have a hot wire tied into one of the wires off my regulator and both of the wires on my reg going into the terminals on the alt. anybody have any suggestions. i do know my batt is junk. would that affect it.

Here is a diagram for the wiring of a amp meter, I have this in a wiring folder i hope your computer has the means when you save this to enlarge it so as its easier to read.. I use a volt meter, i think there more reliable and safer. JMO... This is a old diagram but i don't think they have changed.. Good luck.

NOTE under connections in diagram--Ford.. Chrysler..

attachment-5.gif

Sorry for 2 posts but wanted to tell you, check all your wires with this, using a inline fuse of around 25 or even 30 is a good idea, there is more juice in the wiring then some think, maybe not you, but hooked up the way these are its a solid 12 volts running, but i wanted it to be clear as these are the culprits in many car fires! I just don't want to try to help and something not be right and cause a fire!! Good luck again.

Auto Transport Service
Back