• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Instrument Panel lights not turning on

Local time
1:07 AM
Reaction score
I ordered all new wiring and bulkhead connectors for my 74 Roadrunner and installed them this past week. The engine and headlights work fine, but instrument panels and radio do not have any power. The new ignition switch I bought has 6 wires on it, 5 regular 10 or 12 gauge wires, and a small 16-18 gauge wire. This wire is not on the original wiring diagram and I believe this is the problem. Does anyone know if I am thinking the correctly or if I am heading in the wrong direction

Bummer. Did you get the under-dash wiring also. If not, wrong radio should come from fuse Pannel as Your dash lights. I had to refer back to my old under dash harness many times. I did mark what each wire went to on it. Do you have a wiring Diagram?

Small black wire by chance? It’s a C-body switch, goes to ground in crank position. Not used on the other platforms. Be sure to remove this wire from the Molex connector tape it off and disregard. Some dash harnesses have an orange illumination circuit wire in the same cavity. First time cranking with the lights on, it will take out the illumination fuse. Complete replacement reproduction harnesses. Did you use new fuses, verify each fuse is good?

Last edited:
Small black wire by chance? It’s a C-body switch, goes to ground in crank position. Not used on the other platforms. Be sure to remove this wire from the Molex connector tape it off and disregard. Some dash harnesses have an orange illumination circuit wire in the same cavity. First time cranking with the lights on, it will take out the illumination fuse. Complete replacement reproduction harnesses. Did you use new fuses, verify each fuse is good?
I did buy new fuses, did not verify if they were good. I will check on the fuses and if one is blown, Ill pull that wire and update.

I did buy new fuses, did not verify if they were good. I will check on the fuses and if one is blown, Ill pull that wire and update.
I checked the fuse and it was blown. Swapped it out and clipped the wire. Lights still work. Only issue im having now is the radio. I have an aftermarket replica from retrosound. The fuse isnt blown. Im going to be trobleshooting for a while. But the new harnesses all appear to work properly. Just installation error

Auto Transport Service
Back