• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! Brakes get tight and hot

Bob Jordan

Local time
6:21 AM
Reaction score
put all new front brakes on the 64 sport fury about a month ago. Manually adjusted them properly and for the last month (about 500 miles) they worked perfectly - good pedal and dead straight no pull. Yesterday they started pulling right and rt front got hot. Backed the adjusters off a bit and ok for a few stops but then same thing. Took a look at both sides today - primary shoes are in front, self adjsuters are on correct sides and work correctly, shoes and drums look fine. Put it back together, adjusted them carefully to stop in about 1.5 turns. First few stops OK - then rt ft tight and hot without any reverse stops at all. I've done lots of drum brakes and can't figure this out. Hydraulics are also fine - both sides release when pedal up. Ideas and things to look at?

If not the self adjuster flex hose internal clog. Betting self adj..

I had a similar situation where the brake pedal wouldn't come back all the way after pressing the pedal. Come to find out the master cylinder was bad.

Rubber hoses are 3 years old. Brakes release and roll freely with car on stands with pedal up. Self adjuster parts are all new and seem to work correctly. When I pull the cable with my thumb the lever raises up and comes down on the wheel expanding the shoes. It worked perfectly for a month but now gets tight and hot even without reverses.

Power Brakes? Or manual? Either way if the first piston in the master cylinder doesn't return fully home the brakes can't fully release...

manual with suicide master but wouldn't that effect both sides? It's just the right giving us trouble

manual with suicide master but wouldn't that effect both sides? It's just the right giving us trouble

Yup, I think I'd try a new hose... Three years it should be fine but parts quality isn't what it use to be...

IMG_2623.JPG

I may see a potential problem... Your primary shoe lining should be centered on the shoe... Recent shoes it seems they have shifted the lining to the trailing edge of the shoe... I don't know if it's causing your dragging issue but I do know it's been the cause of premature wheel locking especially on rear brakes.... The lining being in the wrong position changes the leverage... Single cylinder two piston drum brakes with a floating lower connection are self energizing so changing the leverage can create unintended consequences...

Linings look the same side to side. Definitely more brake dust on the right/hot side. When I back them off they don't pull for about the first two stops. I think maybe I have problems with the contact pads on the backing plates

Update!! i took the drums and had them measured (they were just turned) and they are within spec. I looked at everything very closely and noticed that the top edge of the primary shoe on the problem right side has about an inch long chunk missing where the bevel would be. I can't see anything that would have caused that to crumble off. Will try new shoes both sides tomorrow. These were Bosch riveted shoes new about a month ago.

These were Bosch riveted shoes new about a month ago.
Bosch never made brake shoes back when they were really Bosch.... They sold the company & the name is used on lots of stuff the owners never actually touch... Name recognition sells parts....

Something is goofy with these. Now that I am looking closely at them the primary shoe lining is short and the places where the shoe should contact the pads on the backing plate are not in the right spots. They are the right part number.

Something is goofy with these. Now that I am looking closely at them the primary shoe lining is short and the places where the shoe should contact the pads on the backing plate are not in the right spots. They are the right part number.
As I mentioned before the primary lining isn't in a right/normal location either.... I'm sure you know the front lining is shorter than the rear but yeah, the ones you have shorter than normal.....

As I mentioned before the primary lining isn't in a right/normal location either.... I'm sure you know the front lining is shorter than the rear but yeah, the ones you have shorter than normal.....
I should have paid more attention when you said that the first time. The places wheret he shoe plate should contact the backing plate are in the wrong locations as well. These are the right Bosch shoes for this application but they seem the crap. Will try different shoes tomorrow. When I get them on and properly adjusted they actually self actuate and get tight in the forward direction - I think because of the primary shoe.

there was another thread not long ago about the linings/shoes being an issue

edit..... found it

Drum Brakes Grabbing - SOLVED!
Thank you! That seems to be exactly what is going on and my new shoes have very short and non centered primary linings. Contact points for backing plate are mis located. Brakes self activate rolling forward. Will try new shoes tomorrow.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back