• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help "decoding" a 1970 Roadrunner

I purchased a 1970 Roadrunner that is largely unrestored, with 80,000 miles and is mostly unmolested. The problem is that the car does not have a fender tag or broadcast sheet, so I am trying to recreate what options this car was built with, to the best of my knowledge based on the evidence the car has.

A) 100% certain: Car is a FJ5 Limelight 383 with original engine and 4 sp. transmission. Original VIN found on them.

B) 99.9% certain: Car has the A36 performance axle package with 26" radiator, HEMI leaf springs and 3.55 sure grip. Car is also a N96 air grabber with all the parts in the correct places, and FJ5 paint in all the right places

Questions:
1) I am trying to determine if the car had the A01 light package. It has a trunk light, a glove box light, map/courtesy light and an under hood light. However, It does NOT have hood mounted turn signals or a time delay ignition light. I also don't think it has an ash tray light, although if this is hidden up in the dash I may have missed it.Can anyone help me with what they think my car had with respect to these options?

2) Interior: My car currently has the custom decor seats installed with the silver piping. I think these may have been swapped in later because the door panels do not match. I can't find the door panel pattern in any reference (i.e. Legendary or Year One). Has anyone seen this pattern? If so, what seats match this pattern?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Sherlock Holmes wannanbe....

All of the things I have bolded above for the light package were only available in the A01 light package, see the link below and note the * " for available in package only." Someone likely changed the fender/hood that had the turn signals in, I don't recall if they are on the fenders or in the hood in that model.
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1970/70_Belevedere0009.jpg

Gents: Thanks for the feedback.

Very interesting, as I was (and I guess still am) convinced that the car is an original air grabber car. The car was originally Limelight, and is evidenced by floor boards and many other places in the car, including many places where yellow paint is peeling away. This includes the hood and the air grabber scoop itself. The attached pictures show this peeling paint and green paint (although washed out in the hood picture). If the hood was added, there is no doubt that it was from a Limelight car as well.

Does anyone have a picture of the "proper" routing of the air grabber hoses though the firewall? If someone added the air grabber, then they added all of the parts like the switch and air canister very professionally.

Thanks again for the help! A bit of CSI going on with the car!

Hawk

Attachments

• hood.jpg
    hood.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 348
  • hood_scoop.jpg
    hood_scoop.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 344
Here's a couple of mine that I have on hand...not the greatest view but gives you the idea...

Attachments

• 84013913_10.jpg
    84013913_10.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 326
  • 84013913_11.jpg
    84013913_11.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 331
Here's a couple of mine that I have on hand...not the greatest view but gives you the idea...

OK. I live and I learn. :eek:ops: That's what is great about the forum - thanks for the education!

I have to now agree with those of you who said the air grabber was added. I believe the firewall of my car does not have the dimple punched out - see attached picture. I can't see how an original air grabber car would not have the dimple punched out.

It's great to learn about the car. Of course, the air grabber will stay, and it won't really matter because I'll still have fun driving it... :icon_mrgreen:

Attachments

• airgrabber_dimple.jpg
    airgrabber_dimple.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 334
OK. I live and I learn. :eek:ops: That's what is great about the forum - thanks for the education!

I have to now agree with those of you who said the air grabber was added. I believe the firewall of my car does not have the dimple punched out - see attached picture. I can't see how an original air grabber car would not have the dimple punched out.

It's great to learn about the car. Of course, the air grabber will stay, and it won't really matter because I'll still have fun driving it... :icon_mrgreen:

You know what else is great? You can punch the dimple out and make it look right anyway....hell you've got all the hard to get stuff...it's your car...and you will have fun driving it...salll that matters...

If you paid high dollar for something that wasn't real...another story...you get to make this what you want!!

As already mentioned the door panels are for a medium grade interior-M2X9 for black.The chrome mouldings on the B pillar are part of the Decor package but I`m not sure that mandated the Deluxe interior? If they are in good shape I would be interested in buying them as I have been looking for years and they are NOT reproduced.

roadrunnerdoorpanel.jpg

As already mentioned the door panels are for a medium grade interior-M2X9 for black.The chrome mouldings on the B pillar are part of the Decor package but I`m not sure that mandated the Deluxe interior? If they are in good shape I would be interested in buying them as I have been looking for years and they are NOT reproduced.

Thanks for the pictures! I assume you mean you are looking for the chrome (stainless steel?) mouldings? Sorry, but I am going to keep the ones I have on my car. Each side has a dent, but I think each dent will be reasonably easy to hammer out and clean up. (Of course, we'll see how "easy" it is when the time comes... We all know how NOTHING is ever easy, except spending money :toothy5:)

Hawk

No,I am looking for the medium grade interior panels like in the pic for my road runner.You mentioned going to the deluxe on your car so I thought you wouldn`t be needing them.

Also I should mention that the decor package was-
Custom Vinyl, B-Pillar Mldg., Bright Armrest Bases, 3 Spoke Strg. Wheel, Bright Door Panels, Transverse Tape Stripe.
Your car has the b pillar chrome but has the black arm rest bases and no stripe on the trunk which makes me think it didn`t have the decor package and the chrome was added.

No fender tag info but that is the be medium grade interior and it doesn`t have the decor package.

@ torredcuda:
I will be adding the deluxe interior door panels. My seats are the deluxe bench seats, and the vinyl is in great shape. A little minor clean up and I should be able to reuse them and reinstall.

One other "oddity" about my door panels. They have a wood grain strip at the top, where the others I see appear NOT to have that. There seem to have been many varied interiors available?

Since I will be replacing the door panels, I am willing to get rid of my current ones. One problem is that the driver's door panel is missing except for the trim piece at the top. The passenger and rear panels are there, and after a quick look appear to be in decent shape. If you are interested then PM me and I can get you a better description, pictures, etc. so I don't mislead you as to their condition.

Thanks to all for the help as I continue to explore my new toy!

So to finalize and help my understanding about the light package:

1) Does anyone have a picture of what the time delay ignition light looked like? Was it a little light bulb just in front of the hazard switch? I have one on my 1973 but I am not sure if the 1970 was the same. If it is the same, then my 1970 definitely does NOT have that.

2) Does anyone have a picture or some key thing to look for for the ash tray light?

3) Finally, for the under hood light. Can someone tell me where the switch was located?

Many thanks in advance.

Hey, that's my old RM21N0A140571! I must have posted that pic years ago (I owned it from '99-2008_. I want it back!

Attachments

• 1970RM21N0A140571.jpg
    1970RM21N0A140571.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 325
im not sure but the underhood light should be on a mercury switch,,,,,ON when hood is lifted...OFF....when closed....and while i have you here.....my 70 runner has the A01 also.i bought a trunk light but i have no idea where it mounts. can you post a pic? oh, and i posted a link of a 70 runner with your door panels. did you see it?

air grabber hoses

heres where the hoses go thru the fire wall

Attachments

• south park pix 015.jpg
    south park pix 015.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 376
  • south park pix 037.jpg
    south park pix 037.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 357
The dealer installed under hood light in those days would likely be a mecury switch as stated above.

The ignition light is a bulb above the ignition key they shined thought a slot about 1/4 wide X 12" long.

The trunk light is a socket mounted in a small metal tab on the drivers side front of the rear trunk lip rail on the inside of of the weather strip.

im not sure but the underhood light should be on a mercury switch,,,,,ON when hood is lifted...OFF....when closed....and while i have you here.....my 70 runner has the A01 also.i bought a trunk light but i have no idea where it mounts. can you post a pic? oh, and i posted a link of a 70 runner with your door panels. did you see it?

I did see the link - Thanks! The mystery of what my door panels were from has been solved.

I took about 1000 pictures of every conceivable angle of my car recently, but of course didn't seem to get the trunk light switch. :eusa_wall: Due to space restrictions, my car is at my Parents' place about 15 minutes away. I'll try to get over there today and get a picture of it...

OK, I found one picture - it's not very good as far as the trunk light switch details, but it is a start. Again, I'll try to get a better picture some time today...

Attachments

• Trunk_left.jpg
    Trunk_left.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 327
Auto Transport Service
Back